Fishing Forum

Full Version: drumking, chickamauga, crappie, 6/13/10, Dr Phillip Gawthrop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dr Phillip Gawthrop and I got out this AM around 6:30 or so to do a little crappie fishing. We had a great day. We landed 48 crappie, 1 smallmouth bass, 1 largemouth bass, 1 spotted bass and 2 bluegills. I caught my 7th tarp black crappie this year, a 14.5 inch beauty. Phil almost caught one, but it was 1/8 inch short of 14". We had 5 over 13 inches today. About 1/2 of our fish were under 11" which is my keeper limit, but Phil did go home with 20 fish over 11" and 1 white bass. All the bass that we caught today were chasing minnows very near the top. All were caught on our crappie jigs. The crappie were deep mostly, but we did stop at one dock and caught about 10 small crappie in less than 15 minutes and these fish were at a 4 to 6 count.<br /><br />Bobby Garland 2" baby shads in blue ghost was the only color to catch fish today. (That's about all we threw). Why argue with success? We used 1/32 oz jigheads so we had to wait forever to get the jigs down to the fish, but they like the ultra slow drop speed at this time of year. The fish are not in a chasing mood right now.<br /><br />I forgot my camera and cell phone today so we didn't get any pics of the bass except the white bass that Phil kept. Took pics of our crappie in my driveway. We quit fishing at 11:15. The water chiggers came out in force at 10:15 and cruisers were running up and down the lake trying to destroy the shoreline. A Maytag washer would be proud if it could churn the water 1/2 as much as the weekend chiggers do. emoBigSmile emoGeezer