Fishing Forum

Full Version: Boats
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know this isnt the right place for this but coulndt find a general chat place so here it goes. Me and my buddy were looking to buy a fishing boat considering we rent a boat every year on our trip. we are looking for a 4 seat flat boat nothing fancy no padding or extra insulation. the closes thing to a accessory were looking for it a steering wheel. i was wondering what are some of the things to look out for and also what are good boats / engines to buy what are known to last. i know that first thing to worry for is the engine so and tips on the would be great. also were looking to spend around 1000 and for somewhere close to a 50 hp motor
[signature]
You could post this on the boat board as well. In this economy you may find a very used boat for that money. $1,000 for a boat and 50hp.and trailer isn't much money to spend. Good luck on the hunt.
[signature]
Im with gdn. you will be lucky to find a good boat with that size motor on it for $1000 bucks.
[signature]
Your best bet would be to do some research. Are you looking for a new setup or are you ok with buying used? Do you know what boats would suit your fishing style or comfort level on the water?

After you answer questions like those, I would suggest looking on craigslist or classified ads in the paper if not having something brand new will work. Also, depending on where you live, often times marinas, bait and tackle stores, and boating accessory stores have used boats for sale from their customers or a cork board with boats for sale at the least.

Hope this helps and good luck on the water!
[signature]
I just bought a 5 hp four stroke for $1,200. but that is brand new, I am sure there are deals out there.
You would be fine with a 25 hp in my opinion though which means you don't have to license the motor, just so you know.
As far as a boat, I too am looking at John boats. Welded seams, NOT RIVETED is my first suggestion .
Good luck!
[signature]
Lund makes a good boat. Go with the panfisher or similar. Other makes are good as well such as tracker etc.... Do your homework and see what is out there. Lots to choose from.
[signature]
I sure hope that 5 horse was not a brigs. a brigs 4 stroke only ran about 850.00 new.

the 5 horse 4 strokes I have been looking at started around 3k new. Ya, I was looking at merc's.
[signature]
for a boat big enough to take a 50 horse motor at a price tag of 1000.00 I would be scared to look at. now finding a boat big enough and actualy has a 50 horse motor on it with a stering wheel in any kind of navitable condition just dose not exist.

EXCEPT.

you need to start shopping estate sales, forclosure sales and devorce sales. /auctions

you can expect to spend close to a grand on a 12 foot roboat on a trailor at that price off the street.
[signature]
Then check out Nissan...they are Merc. but about $200. to $300. less. This five ran about $1,200 to $1,300 at Cabela's. Brand new one on Craigslist Utah for $1,000.

Where are you looking that a 5 is $3K? They are around $1,400.
[signature]
Also checkout KSL they have some good buys on there sometimes . Curt G.
[signature]
sorry, that was a typo, I was looking at a 15, what my boat is rated for, but I dont think it will take a 15 4 stroke merc, it is a lot heavier than the 2 stroke mercs, I may have to drop down to a 10
[signature]
Hey dave did ya ever check out yamaha? Thats what i run on My G3 and i really like it. I got a 20hp and it looks smaller than the merc 15. So you may be able to get away with a 15 yamaha.
[signature]
I will look in to them, thanks.

the real issue is the weight of the motor, my johnson 15 2stroke only weights 40 pounds,

to bad there is not a conversion chart to tell a man what the new ratings for the new hevier 4strokes.

the new motors with the additional weight drasticaly limits what small watercraft can handle. and makes the back end sit deaper in in the water. that makes me leire
[signature]
im dont really need a fifty hp i was just puting it out there a 20 hp would be fine for me do they have a list of these forcloser / auctuions? i found a few boats ill post em and see what you guys think thanks again
[signature]
you will have to look in your local area, not on line, "well you can look on line, but these auctions are in person"

Find a cople auctioneers in your area and get on thier mailing list.
[signature]
[#005000]I would try for a 25 hp Yamaha,Evinrude,Mercury, Nissan. But as for boat Regstration and License . Check your state for license & Registration.[/#005000]
[#005000]Dennis[/#005000]
[signature]
okay thanks guys will do me and my buddy have found a few boats are there any problem areas i should be aware of signs that knowing its a bad boat?
[signature]
[#005000]If I was to tell you need to check the transom mainly if it is a fiberglass and if a metal one check the seams and the rivets. If it has carpet lift it up an see if rotten smell. But if it is just a plain Jane boat Jon or a Semi V look over the boat for rust and other things like sides soft or dents & repairs! Jut take it out on the water before buying! Good Luck![/#005000]
[#005000]Dennis[/#005000]
[signature]
k thanks
[signature]
Yeah i hear ya on the whole weight thing. My yamaha F-20 is a 4-stroke and it is about 115lbs or something like that. They are not lightweight but i think yamaha right now is the leader in lighter weight 4-strokes. Could be wrong, but what research i did do backs my opinion.
[signature]