Fishing Forum

Full Version: NEED SOME NORTHERN PIKE HELP!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all, I am goin' on a trip to Manti this week with some family and want to hit some of the waters near there. I know that both Redmond and Yuba hold Northern Pike. I really want to get my first Northern and was wondering which body of water to target for my greatest chance. Has anybody fished those areas for Northerns lately, or at all that would be willing to help? Also, heard that Ninemile has some tiger trout, is it worth visiting at all? Thank You!
[signature]
well there is a lot more pike in redmond then yuba.. but the pike in yuba get a lot bigger..

do you have a boat? if not then redmond would be your best bet for a pike.. anchoves under a big bobber works as good as anything.. spoons and spinners work as well to.. but more then likeley this time of the year you will be catching more cat's at redmonds then anything..

yuba ya almost need a boat to have much of a chance of catching a pike.. casting spinner baits, cranck baits, and big spoons.. or i catch most of my pike there trolling big crank baits like j 13's or bottom bouncing for walleye..

i fished 9 mile all winter and 8 times after ice off and have not caught a tiger at all this year.. alot's of planter bow's tho..[:/]
[signature]
I've had success at both lakes for northerns this year. I've had the best success with soft baits. Three to five inch curly tails in yellow or white have produced the best. Vary the weight and size of the jighead to get it to different depths. I've used many different rapalas, spinnerbaits, spoons, spinners and topwater lures and they all produced alright but the soft baits seemed to produce twice as many if not more, and they are probably the cheapest. Good luck and let us know how you do!
I hit Redmond a few weeks ago, and landed several pike. I tried fishing quite a ways out from shore in my tube, but had better luck walking out about 5 feet from shore in my chest waders. I was casting a rattlin' rapala about 12" from the rocky shore line. They were all over those rocks. It took me a long time to figure out where they were and how to catch them, but once I found them, the action was pretty good. I caught 4 pike and 1 large mouth in about 45 minutes using this method. All of the pike were between 18-21 inches. It was a blast.
[signature]