Fishing Forum

Full Version: Starting Duck Hunting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just started up duck hunting last fall. Only went once with a friend. I've bought some calls and decoys gun. I want to get into it a little more this fall. I was just wondering what helped you the most when you were starting out?
[signature]
I like to claim that I hunt 365 days/year, including waterfowl, big game, etc. I'm ALWAYS looking, watching and attempting to get access to where the animals are, etc. I may not be toting a gun, but I'm hunting using all my other senses. If you go out to the marsh and watch the birds you will know the time they fly, where they fly to and where they eat, sleep, etc. This is way more than the average hunter knows. So even though the seasons may not be open, go hunting with your binoculars, spotting scope, etc. Go ask permission to hunt private land NOW, not right before the season. See if you can help the landowner with any chores (repair fences, etc.) and you'd be surprised how friendly they might be. That has helped me the most......knowing the game, where it is, where it might be, etc.
[signature]
[#6000bf]As mentioned, scouting is key. Get off the beaten path and look at canals and small rivers. They are usually really easy to hunt and jump shooting ducks can be a lot of fun.[/#6000bf]
[#6000bf][/#6000bf]
[#6000bf]I used to hunt ducks all the time. For the most part, I cannot stand eating them. I will choke a few down on occasion when I take my son out.[/#6000bf]
[#6000bf][/#6000bf]
[#6000bf]Also, go shoot a lot of clay pigeons and you will be amazed at how much your kill ratio will improve for ducks.[/#6000bf]
[signature]
Thanks for the tips guys.
[signature]
Buy my duck boat Smile
[signature]
One-Eyed, it all comes down to money. Ha Ha.

Cowboy, if there is a couple of hints that I have followed it is to go where the ducks want to be (i.e. scouting as mentioned) and GOOD COVER, spend the money and buy a good pop-up blind (or One-eyed's boat.[Wink] But don't assume your camo clothes are enough. Some of the areas let you get out early and build natural blinds. I have had some of my best hunts only a 100 yards from the truck out at the BR refuge, but with good cover. Most of all, you can't kill any sitiing on your couch, you just have to be out there on a regular basis. Also, join DU, it is a grea way to chat with other hunters who have been doing it for years and they will often give you tips.
[signature]
Great advice so far.
far as the camo goes, you don't need to go all out for ducks, get good comfortable camo clothes that blend well with your surroundings, you don't need a pop out blind. Making sure you have a little cover around you to break up edges is important. #1 is movement, you will be amazed how exposed you can be as long as you DON'T MOVE until you're ready to shoot. Don't look up with your face!! Use your eyes and keep your face down, a big beard or face mask helps keep light from reflecting off your face. The most common phrase you hear from us when we bring a new guy is "don't look up", right when a guy looks at the ducks they flare.
Another huge concern is to use shade to your advantage, if you can get on the shady side of some taller grass or cattails, that's best, the sun reflects much different off any clothing or blinds than it does natural vegetation. Keep adjusting your position through-out the hunt to stay shady.
Save the money you spend on a blind to get some good warm camo waders and you'll be hunting a lot later into the season.
[signature]
Thanks for all the replies. You guys are great.
[signature]