Fishing Forum

Full Version: When using High -Vis Line - do U use a clear leader?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When using High -Visibility Orange/purple Line - do you guys use a clear leader to attach your bait or lure to? i use 6-12 lb test . . .

thanks

[Wink]

sm
[signature]

Hi there southernman,

I guess you're talking mostly about freshwater fishing. Some line makers claim that certian colors are invisible to a fish's eye. I heard orange and yellow are good colors while others say a mist green does the trick, especially for saltwater. Some lines, while visible out of water suddenly become hard to see when put in the water.

I used to fish Ande pink all the time but now like the co-polymers which range from a dark smoke to a deep green. I use clear flurocarbon leaders even when fly-lining and the bite seems OK. Just about all the fishing I'm doing now is with the Carolina rig or sliding egg rig, which is perfectlly designed to use a nice light, long leader.

I fish a lot of 15 pound test main line and 10 or 12 pound clear flurocarbon leader. I'll drop down to 8 pound leaders if only 1-3 pound Calicos are biting.

If the water was muddy or even stained and I forgot my leader material fishing a main line of 6 or 8, I wouldn't burst out crying.

JapanRon
[signature]
thanks japanron, thats one for leader . . .

sm
[signature]
j.r. and i are on the same wavelenght with this .

for freshwater fishing at it's peak times early a.m. and dusk , these highley visible colors are great , but the upitey , snootey , got a stick up there rump , wanna be prows frown on these lines . i have run into these guys on the huron river in michigan , ridiculing and humiliating anyone that uses the stuff .

i say if the tool works for the job , use it ! at least you can see where your fishing and not just guessing . screw the wanna-bees and there pompus thoughts .

the flourcarbon leaderlines ( ron and streamside enlightened me on them ) are fantastic , they can take a beating and hold there strength . keep the line on , use a flourcarbon as a leader or as a line "as you choose" .

remember , fish don't know what a hook is , nor a line either .
[signature]
The majority of my fishing is stream fishing for trout. I usually fish hardware, but switch back-and-forth with bait as the lack of action or type of water dictates.

When fishing hardware or continuously switching back and forth, I fish either 2# or 4# blue Ande mono or 8# Lo-Vis fluoro.

On occasions when I mostly end up bait fishing, except when using 2#, I go to Hi-Vis Yellow/Gold mono or fluoro in order to better see, with my aging eyesight, how/where my bait is drifting and to watch the curve I try to keep in my line while drifting bait. During these times, as a leader, I use three to four feet of Lo-Vis fluoro of the same test when fishing 4# or 6# Lo-vis fluoro when fishing 8#.

In most cases, I attach the leader directly to the main line using a blood knot (which I think some call a barrel knot). If there's a lot of moss in the water, I use a small swivel between the main line and leader using improved clinch knots. The swivel is small enough to pass through the tip top and guides, but causes a lot of the moss to catch on the swivel and keeps the bait clean over a longer drift.

A friend of mine, who's the best stream bait fisherman I've ever seen, switched to Hi-Vis yellow/gold mono because he's even older than me. Although he strickly uses mono for both the hi-vis main line and low-vis leader, my use, described above, of a lo-vis leader, is patterned after his technique. Except for a couple trips, he always outfishes (more and bigger) than the rest of us, several of whom only fish low-vis line, both mono and fluoro.

I haven't tried hi-vis in 2# yet. Japan Ron has recently been nice enough to give me information on the avalability of 2# fluoro and I'm planning to try and get some soon. If I can find it in hi-vis for bait fishing, I'll be using a 2# lo-vis fluoro leader.
[signature]
i use a clear blue fluorescent with no leader works fine and heres something i think a lot of people don't know if your fishing at night bring along a battery powered black light it will make your line glow like a lazer ! works great for catfishing on dark nights
[signature]
thats a good one, thanks aquaman!

[cool]

sm
[signature]
YOUR WELCOME
[signature]
now that begs the question, "where the he11 do you get a black light nowadays? and a battery powered one to boot!" My mom threw mine out in '79, along with the 'black-light posters' . .

sm
[signature]
You can find battery powered blacklights in some pet stores (I've seen them at Petco). Usually in the cat section where they have those jugs of odor removers.

They say the blacklight's help locate places where fecal matter and urine and other such things have landed within the household. So you might want to check in the larger pet stores for them.
[signature]

Hey there aquaman,

Here on the West Coast So. Cal way we have Twilight open-party boats that fish from 6pm to midnight, as you well remember. Wouldn't it be cool to have a black light and everybody using the magic line.

Man on Man! Fewer tangles as we could see the line even in the dark waters, nightblind guys could fish OK.

That would make some awesome trips for the Sand Bass huh?!

JapanRon
[signature]
i just saw a battery powered blacklight last week at galyan's sporting goods. I think all that glowing line flying about might make for one groooovy trip !!! LMAO
[signature]
Have you checked you new Bass Pro 2004 Fishing Master Catalog? Black lights may have been in previous catalogs, but I noticed them in this year's because of the postings here. They have several on pages 371 and 371. Most use 12V for power, but the Night STalker III uses either 12V or six D cells.
[signature]
The 12 volt model should be good for the float tubers with fish finders that are held back because of hard water. You can use the same battery as long as your fishfinder was 12volts also.
[signature]