Fishing Forum

Full Version: Minnow Traps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all,

I'm heading to Strawberry next weekend with some buddies and it's my job to provide the minnows for the weekend. With six guys that might be a chunk of change buying them at Sportsmans.

My question: are there still adequate minnows (shiners or chubs) in Strawberry that I can catch to help support the cause? Also, what is the best method? A friend of mine used to use a wire trap and dog food at Scofield, but that was a few years ago, and I have never tried it at Strawberry myself.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks, PowerBate
[signature]
we were in the narrows between the two sides and couldn't keep the chubs off.... maybe thats the ticket for bait?
[signature]
I have also wondered about Strawberry minnows. I have never tried to catch them at Strawberry, but I have caught tons at Electric Lake and Scofield. I bought one of those Minnow Traps at Cabelas and I just put in a piece of bread. It is amazing how fast I could fill the trap with minnows at Electric Lake near the dam. In only a few hours, you could have a couple hundred minnows. Freeze them and they will last for a while.
[signature]
I noticed some near the boat ramp at The Strawberry Marina on Saturday. Nothing like it used to be. I once caught over 100 minnows in one toss of my casting net at The Strawberry Marina. Most of the ones I saw were too small for a casting net; however, they could have been caught in a minnow trap. I use the cheapest dry dog food I can buy for bait in my minnow traps.
[signature]
Thanks guys!!!
[signature]