Fishing Forum

Full Version: defenition please?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i forsee this getting moved, however;

what exactly is an elitist in the fishing world? does it always, 100% of the time tie into those who fly fish? im just curious what everyone thinks?

oh and i dont just fly fish, i like to catch fish any way possible, fly fishing is just my number one way of doing it because i have fun with the fly rod.
[signature]
[quote kochanut]i forsee this getting moved, however;

what exactly is an elitist in the fishing world? does it always, 100% of the time tie into those who fly fish? im just curious what everyone thinks?

oh and i dont just fly fish, i like to catch fish any way possible, fly fishing is just my number one way of doing it because i have fun with the fly rod.[/quote]

Absolutely not tied to just fly fisherman. I've had elitest troll'er guys badmouth my 9 year old boys (in their opinion) "small" 14" fish that he kept.

The annoying thing about Elitests is that they are never happy with anyone elses actions. There is always something wrong with what the other guy is doing, or how he acts, what he keeps, how he looks etc.

I'm happy to watch a kid catch a fish and it makes me reflect back to that age when I was catching them. Looking back over old family pictures, I'm amazed my dad let us keep some of those dinky things LOL... but it sure hooked me on fishing for life.

I got kindof Angry with the guy dissing my boys 14" fish at the cleaning station. If its legally caught, no-one should *ever* make a negative comment about someone elses catch. If they are happy with it, be happy for them and move on. Ditto for their fishing gear, fishing style etc.

-DallanC
[signature]
I think an elitist is more to describe a stereotypical attitude towards methods that they consider 'below them' rather than actual fishing behavior or patterns.

I would think that someone who only will fish with a fly rod of a certain select few brands would be described as an elitist.
Also someone who would only fish for a certain select species from certain types of watercraft would be an elitist.

Again, in my opinion, it describes more the attitude than the actual method of fishing.
[signature]
An eltitist is one who thinks that his or her way of doing things is superior to others'. On this board I've seen elitist fly fishers, walleye people, bass people, people who think jigging is superior to other methods, etc. I personally think it comes from a) a lack of knowledge, and/or b) insecurity. In my experience insecure people are the ones who put others down in order to make themselves feel better. And I don't think there is a greater percentage of elitists in one category over another. They are found in equal numbers throughout all classes of fishers. I think, however, that the number of elitists is very small. Most people seem to respect other ways.
[signature]
Great topic.
I agree that it is one person that thinks it is their way or no way.
I guess I am fortunate that I have only met a couple in my life and I am sure I have been called an elitist (still cracks me up too). I do fly fish only (which could all change this winter with the new river laws here in Utah)[Wink] . I have fished all styles, fly fishing works for me...me being the key word.

I moderate several fly fishing boards and I really have not read or met on the water ways an elitist at all. They are all open to growth.
[signature]
Good post.

I think fly fishermen get labeled as an elitist because there are areas that are restricted to fly fishing only. Some feel like there are extra privileges at their expense (not catching fish, but could in a restricted area).

Not sure, Thanks to the wakeboarders, I don't think any boat fishermen get labeled as an elitist.
[signature]
Great topic!

I think that the answers given so far are great and right on.

+1
[signature]
Elitists of any sort give me a pain in the butt!
[signature]
Quote:The annoying thing about Elitests is that they are never happy with anyone elses actions. There is always something wrong with what the other guy is doing, or how he acts, what he keeps, how he looks etc.

This said early in the thread sums it up very well (Thanks DallanC). Its not how they fish or what gear they use but how they act towards others that defines them.
[signature]
I agree, good topic. I do have to say that all the guys I've ever had run in's with on the water have been fly fisherman. I'm not saying all flyfisherman are that way because they're not, I know a lot of my buddies, myself included who love to flyfish. There does, at sometimes, seem to be a sense of entitlement that comes from some flyfishers though. I was fishing the Madison below Quake lake last year with a spinning rod and had a guy come by and rip me for the tackle i was using, another guy on the same day on the same stretch of river wouldn't even talk to me when I asked how he was doing. All I got was the up and down look over and then he turned is back and walked off. I don't get it, are we not all fisherman out on the water for the same reasons? One thing that I do think is a little unfair is how some rivers are fly only. If it is all catch and release on a particular lake or stream, thats one thing, but if you can actually take fish home from the waters your fishing, who cares what you use as long as you follow the bag limit regs. It should'nt matter what we use wether its a meat stick or a flyrod or wether we are trolling or sitting on the bank. In my opinion, a fish on a taught line is kick ass anytime, regardless of what the line is attached to. But if you ask most fisherman who are the biggest babies on the water your answer will most likely be the elitist fly guys, and thats too bad they give you good fly guys a bad name.
[signature]
Also someone who would only fish for a certain select species from certain types of watercraft would be an elitist.

[#000050]Does this mean Tube Dude is an elitist?? [cool][/#000050]
[signature]
I am feeling that....[Wink]
[signature]
I fly fish only now. I grew up worm fishing and spin fishing, but I like the challenge of fly fishing. That is me and my choice, but I too don't think the the fly fishing only sections are a good thing. I can see sections that restrict some catch and release areas to lures or flys - single barbless hook -- no bait. There is a valid reason for that, but to imply that fly fishing is special and should have special areas is wrong in my opinion. That is "elitist" on the part of the rule setters.

I too have run into some snooty, tricked out, "ellitist" jerks and their jerk guides who think they have a special right to certain sections of water. Mostly this is connected to MONEY, and to certain famous waters here in Idaho. I feel most of these people have this attitude where ever they are at and not just fishing!

So far I don't think there are too many "elitists" on the BFT forums, some days some come close though! [Wink]
But nope not the real deal. [cool]
[signature]
Having a preference is different than an elitist attitude toward all other options.

TubeDude prefers his tube and has noted that he prefers certain species, but he doesn't look down on those on shore or on boats, or those that catch fish that he doesn't prefer.

I stated in my opinion earlier, that elitist describes more the attitude rather than the method.
[signature]
[quote Ponchik]Having a preference is different than an elitist attitude toward all other options.

TubeDude prefers his tube and has noted that he prefers certain species, but he doesn't look down on those on shore or on boats, or those that catch fish that he doesn't prefer.

I stated in my opinion earlier, that elitist describes more the attitude rather than the method.[/quote]

Geeese!! I was only kidding. [:p] Got a sense of humor???[crazy]
[signature]
I don't understand the flies only waters... but, some people have a hard time understanding what ARTIFICIAL means.
Just speaking for waters I am familiar with but artificial also includes no smell or flavor added. That is where the problem comes.
The stretch of river I fish is artificial and I always come across someone using those scented or flavored rubber grubs. Yes they are fake, but the added extra makes them illegal.

To me, flies only mean just that...I know people that fish flies with spinning outfits and do it very well, but I also have heard of some waters that you must present that fly with fly line and reel and rod...now that just don't make sense to me.
[signature]
[quote Ponchik]Having a preference is different than an elitist attitude toward all other options.

I stated in my opinion earlier, that elitist describes more the attitude rather than the method.[/quote]

Okay....take a look at the last two Locked down posts.....
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]And who got them locked?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The only time you post is to dis me or contradict something I have said.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are a whole lot of posts where your lack of comment would be an improvement.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Elitist? I think not. I do more for individual members of this board on a daily basis than you have done in your entire time on the board. And I promote all tackle, all species and all methods. Never once have I criticized anybody for their choices of waters, species, method of fishing or tackle. Can you say the same?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I sure can.
[signature]
I understand that you were kidding, but I did not assume that your question was rhetorical. I was just offering my response to a question I thought you were asking me.

Maybe I don't have a sense of humor, or I am not very good as discerning sarcasm from prose.

Regardless, sorry that my comment was such that it illicited a 'geeese' response, I was truly not intending to be offensive. Peace, let's go fishing?
[signature]