Fishing Forum

Full Version: Fall's fell
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[cool][#0000ff]Fall has fell. Cooler temps. Colors on the hillsides. Lots of good fishing ahead. Wanted to hit Starvation at least once more before I point my tube in other directions.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TubeBabe and I got launched at Bunny Gulch about 7:30 AM. Air temp 50 and water temp 62...warming only a couple of degrees by early afternoon. Only a slight ripple on the water that never got much worse through the entire day. Dead flat calm through much of the morning. Nice for a change.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The walleye tournament, with all of the prefishing and heavy tournament pressure over the weekend probably but a bit of a damper on the fishing. The fish were scattered and not very active. But, we still scratched a few nice keeper perch, some walleyes, a few feisty smallies...and of course some hard-fighting rainbows.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There were lots of perch in water as shallow as 10 feet, but they were either very small or got beat to the bait by the dinks. We had to look for isolated larger perch in deeper water in order to avoid donating bait to the dinksters. Most of my larger perch...and a dozen or so walleyes up to 13"...came from about 21 to 25 feet deep.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Smallies are still hanging around shallow structure but will probably head for deeper water in the next week or so, when the water temps slip below 60 degrees. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The rainbows were a lot fewer and a lot less aggressive than in previous weeks. I blame the heavy pressure on Bunny Gulch during the tournament. But, I managed to keep a couple for a "Starvation salmon" dinner.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]All in all, a beautiful day. Air temps about 75 when we got off the water at 2. Still only a light breeze. Definitely one of our better weather trips. But, it will probably be my last jaunt over there until iceup...if that happens this year. You never know with that lake.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Noticed a lot more color showing up on the hillsides on the way home. Yep, fall's fell.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey Pat,
Good lookin' fishes. In your footlong perch pic and the smallie pic, what is the color of that tube body? Looks like a white with either sparkle or pepper flake. I've noticed that color combo showing up in your Starvation reports.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sharp eye puppy guy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Those are the [url "http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_15624_100019000_100000000_100019000_100-19-0"]"Squirmin' Squirt"[/url] tubes from Bass Pro Shops. I just started trying them this year and have been very happy with them. I get both the 1.5" and 2"...in the #15 white glitter. I rig them with the white glitter with red eye tube jig heads...size 4 for 1.5" and size 2 for the 2".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have tried quite a few different whites and white/sparkle combinations. Some of them do not stay a good white very long and lose their pretty bright white color even in the package. So far the Squirts seem to hold up well in the color department. They are also nice and soft and are salty. I have had some fish actually swallow them...especially when I rig them weightless on my drop shot rigs. On those, I also paint on a red eye with Spike-It worm paint. Second one from top in the picture below.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[inline "PAINTED TUBES.jpg"]
[signature]
Very nice. Thanks for the info. Do you like them better than the southern pro bodies?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Not necessarily. All the other plastics in the pic are Southern Pro...and I use quite a few of their other colors too. I am always looking for new possibilities and I was very happy with the white sparkles from Bass Pro. I actually use them interchangeably with SP but for a pure white they are the best.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]
With the cooler weather I am sorely tempted to put the toon away, however I do want to get up to huntington once before it gets too cold. This week is spent working and painting on house. Hopefully I can get out next week. Modeling season is now upon me and I really want to finish my train room so that I can start running trains this winter.[laugh]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There's something about the chill in the air. It chases away (most of) the power squadron and gets the fish motivated to eat hearty while they still can.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Yeah, I too hear the siren call of Huntington...and Deer Creek...and Jordanelle...and Pineview...and of course Willard and Utah Lake. So many venues so little time. Frantically floating my Fat Cat on as many waters as I can manage and then suddenly I need to bring the ice auger instead of my tube.[/#0000ff]
[signature]