Fishing Forum

Full Version: D.N.R. AND BEER LAWS ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
O.K. A BUD AND I GOT INTO A HEATED DEBATE . HE SAID THE D.N.R. HAS LIMITED THE AMOUNT OF BEER OR POP ( LIMIT OF A SIX PACK )YOU CAN HAVE ON A BOAT .

BOAT IS TO INCLUDE A INNER-TUBE .

FIRST OFF , I STATED THAT WATERCRAFT IS DETERMINED BY THE U.S. COASTGUARD , NOT SUBJECT TO THE D,N,R.'S INTERPITATION . INNER-TUBES ARE NOT A U.S. COASTGUARD RECOGNISED BOAT . BOATS ARE LICENSED UNDER THE DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION , NOT THE D.N.R.

THEN COMES THE BEER AND POP THING , WHEN DID I EVER VOTE ON GIVING MY RIGHTS UP AND OVER TO THE D.N.R. CONCERNING TRANSPORTATION OF ANYTHING THAT I BOUGHT AND PAID FOR LEAGELY ? THE D.N.R. IS NOT THE COAST GUARD , NOR THE DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION , OR THE ARMY CORP. OF ENGINEERES , DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY , OR ANYTHING ELSE . THERE JUST THE D.N.R. !

YOU GUYS EVER HEARD OF THIS KIND OF NON-SENCE BEFORE ?
[signature]

Hi there loanhunter,

I live in California. That means that every off-the-wall wacko law to restrict or curb basic freedoms that haven't been messed with elsewhere gets the treatment here FIRST! ha ha

Example:
No smoking lakeside! Yep, filters may choke trout! I don't smoke but people get fined for this! The DFG won't support facilities that get services from them if the facilty doesn't comply!

Our DFG uses receipt of state and federal funds as an excuse to be able interpret federal guidlines to do just about anything they chose to do. (We have to do this to get funds) With 9-11, our rights (supposedly in exchange for security, HA!) are being handed over to an ever growing authoratative machine. I'm going to see our decline into a facist-like state of restricted movement, access, and activity for only about 20 more years.

It would be interesting to hear what joe blow who fought the revolutionary war would say about what the government does today. Ah, but the good ol' USA is still the most wonderful country in the world to live.

JapanRon
[signature]
right out of the hand book...

[right][#ff0000][#ff0000][b][#ff6600][Image: Alcohol2.gif][/#ff6600][/#ff0000][/b][/#ff0000][/right]

[#ff6600][/#ff6600]

[#ff6600]Alcohol
and
Drugs[/#ff6600]
[size 2]Michigan law prohibits anyone from boating while under the influence of alcohol or drugs. It is also unlawful for the owner of a vessel to allow anyone else to operate their vessel if that person is under the influence of alcohol or drugs. [/size] [Image: bulletblue15.gif] The following conditions determine if you are boating under the influence: • If your blood alcohol concentration is 0.10% or greater by weight of alcohol as determined by a breath, blood or urine test. • If your blood alcohol concentration is greater than 0.07% but less than 0.10% by weight of alcohol as determined by a breath, blood or urine test a law enforcement officer can consider that fact along with other evidence in determining if you are under the influence. [Image: bulletblue15.gif] Michigan law establishes the following penalties: • People arrested for boating under the influence are guilty of a misdemeanor. Upon a third conviction within 10 years, a person will be guilty of a felony. • If a person boating under the influence causes great bodily injury or death of another person, they will also be guilty of a felony. • By operating a vessel on Michigan waters, you have consented to be tested for alcohol or drugs if arrested by a law enforcement official.

[font "Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif"][size 1]Michigan Handbook Of Boating Laws And Responsibilities
[url "http://boat-ed.com/mi/handbook/copyright.htm"][#0000ff]Copyright © 2002 by Boat Ed[/#0000ff][/url][/size][/font]

[size 2]for further info on michigan boating laws refer to the hand book. at...[/size]

[url "http://www.boat-ed.com/mi/handbook"][size 2][#0000ff]Handbook of Michigan Boating Laws[/#0000ff][/size][/url]

[size 2]If you need more information then contact michigan liquor control commission at (517)-332-1370[/size]

[size 2]many year ago (before you were born) there were limmits to the amount you could possess with out having a liquor license. that has changed[/size]

[size 2]now there is no limit to the amount you may own, how ever there is a limit on what you can put in a boat, and this one you know. you buddie is right only one one count and that is the weight limits. (so he got ya on that one.)[sly][/size]

[size 2]leguslature is slowly moving twards to plasing boose laws on boats to the same ristrictions as those of land vehicles. this has to do with the increasing boose accident/related incidents on the water.[/size]

[size 2]it hasnt happened as yet, but it is comming... (no more party boats) aw shucks, I guess they will just have to go back to fishing so they will have someting to do on the water [angelic][/size]
[signature]
I for got to mention that you are suseptable to D&D laws (drunk and disorderly) and they are some tough ones for sure. same as operating a vehicle. even if you are not under the influence you can be fined for behaving as though you are. they aint playing no games on this one.

if at any time you aprear to be under the influence of the wet stuff you can be arreseted and or fined for showing signs of over stimulation in a boat on the water. that is even if you are not the driver of the boat. they require that you to be able to be responcable for your actions at all times on the water.

these laws are inforsed by state place local police coast gaurd and the dnr....
yea , i've read the manuals . and i'm not one to do much drinking at all . i'm just saying that d.n.r. has no authorty to declare a tube as a boat thats the department of transportations juristiction , not the d.n.r.

, nor can they tell anyone how much of any store purchased product they can posess . that comes from our constitution .

as for being intoxicated , d.n.r. has laws concerning alcohal consumption during the taking of fish and game only . they can only assist law enforcement agencys by detaining suspects untill the proper authoritys arive .

if i wanted to float down a river with a keg of beer or a 24 pack of pepsi on my tube ( sober ), i can do it . there's no laws being broken .
[signature]
[Tongue] In Minnesota , you can have as much as you want , but the law states that the operator can get it for DWI just as you can in a car ! Floating down a tube is promoted in several rivers where drinking is part of the trip. I know in Manitoba , which I fish a few times a year , you can not have any liqour on the water , in the boat or on the ice !!!! But pop , Comon...........

Flagmanonice..........
[signature]
you are correct on all counts except one and that is if the dnr officer is a game warden, he chan right you a ticket fot speeding in your car, arrest you for DUI. Michigns Game Warden is in fact a state police officer.

where as a park ranger can only right you a ticket for park infractions. they can arest as a citizen, (citiens arrest)
[signature]
yep , they sure are .

i just never heard of a government agency like the dnr being able to regulate the amount of purchased consumable goods a person can posess .

i don't abide by the drinking on the water , seen to many cans littering the streams and lakes, but , i can't see the dnr overstepings it's bounds and rewriting our constitution either .
[signature]
Now this is a new one on me. I never heard of regulating how much beer one can have, but then, I live in Colorado (the land of the free). Of course we do have the DWI laws for boaters ( a good idea) but our wardens also realize that having a beer out on the water is a time honored tradition and there is no law that will prevent it. So they've made a compromise -- a designated driver. Yes, you can get drunk, make a jackass out of yourself, fall off the water skis and even pass out but you'd better not be behind the wheel when you do. And Colorado doesn't have a stranglehold on jackasses, there's plenty to go around.

Now, along with the designated drivers comes common sense (Oops, sorry. I forgot, common sense is dead). Let's call it being safe and sane (sorry, that's gone by the wayside also). Call it being considerate of others (nope, that died in 1967). Maybe it being a good human being (Sorry, the Supreme Court ruled that unconstitutional in 1993). How about do unto others, etc? (Again the Supreme Court ruled on that, something about separation of state and church or religious freedom). Or just being a good sportsman? (Can a jet skier equate to a fisherman riding erratically on the waves he's making? Probably not.)

So what can we do? I watched my Dad (God rest his soul) become very irritated at a water skier a long, long, long time ago while fishing on the Brazos River in Texas. The skier finally tipped the jug over when he came close enough to splash us with water. My Dad tied on the biggest lure he had, with plenty of hooks and waited for the skier to return. Well, he got close enough to see all those gleaming hooks and suddenly decided the other side of the river was safer. But he made the mistake of watching my Dad instead of where he was going, especially through the overhanging tree limbs. (Can you see this one coming?). I heard the loud thud across the river. The skier did a three and a half gainer, backwards. The last we saw of him, his buddy had pulled him into the boat and was making a rooster-tail back to port.

There is an old Klingon saying, "Revenge is a dish best served cold."
[signature]

Hi lonehunter,

Great public service message. Whether one is a drinker or not, it's always good to stay informed. Even with my screaming and yelling sometimes, most laws do make sense and the ones inforced are often for the protection of everyone either from themselves or others! Yet, being grown ups, we still sometimes chew at the bit when confronted with an imbalance between common sense, law, and justice!

Thanks for a bit of time to reflect,

JapanRon
[signature]