Fishing Forum

Full Version: Livestock Grazing Impacts on Hunting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I go this off of:

http://www.publiclandsranching.org/

[size 4]Livestock Grazing Impacts on Hunting[/size]

Domestic livestock grazing reduces wildlife populations by competing for food, water, and space, and degrading habitat. Habitat degradation caused by grazing also exposes prey species to increased predation (due to lost vegetative cover for concealment and escape), resulting in further declines in those populations. The vast majority of forage and water resources in the West are devoted to domestic livestock grazing, depriving hunters and fishers of what could be incredible sporting opportunities. Ironically, despite the preference it receives, livestock grazing provides less economic benefit to local, regional and national economies than does the presence of wildlife. Economic studies comparing grazing to hunting/fishing/watching/photographing elk, deer, trout, waterfowl, wolves and songbirds demonstrate that native wildlife has a higher economic value than producing livestock from the same natural resources (Duffield, et al.1994, Campbell 1970, Loomis, et al. 1989, Duffield 1989).

Range resources in the arid West are finite and the past and present practice of allocating the majority of forage, water, and space to cattle and sheep on public lands has seriously affected the carrying capacity for native species (Wuerthner 1992). Every blade of grass consumed by domestic livestock is unavailable to wild herbivores. For example, a study of antelope and domestic livestock in New Mexico showed that pronghorn diets over-lapped 39 percent with domestic sheep and 16 percent with cattle (Howard, et al. 1990). Another study reported forage competition between deer, elk and livestock in Montana's Missouri Breaks (Mackie 1970). Similar findings of dietary overlap of deer and elk with domestic livestock were reported in Oregon (Miller and Vavra 1982) and Alberta (Teller 1994).

The mere presence of domestic livestock also causes a shift in habitat use by native species, often relegating native ungulates to less suitable habitats with a resulting decline in vigor and survival. For example, mule deer have been discovered to shift their habitat use in response to livestock grazing (Lott, et al. 1991). Elk in Montana have also moved away from pastures that were actively grazed by cattle (Frisina 1992), and elk and mule deer in Arizona have declined after cattle were introduced to pastures (Wallace and Krausman 1987). Both deer and elk vacated preferred habitats after livestock were introduced into areas in Alberta (Teller 1994).

Disease transmission from domestic livestock to wildlife is yet another problem. Many bighorn sheep herds in the West are decimated by disease transmitted from domestic livestock (Goodson 1982, Berger 1990, Krausman, et al. 1996). Indeed, the presence of domestic sheep in bighorn range is often the only factor that precludes the restoration of wild sheep to many former and otherwise suitable habitats throughout the West.

Many gamebirds are also negatively affected by livestock grazing. Sage grouse populations are declining throughout the West due to a host of problems created by livestock production (Connelly, et. al. 2000). The loss of hiding cover in heavily grazed rangelands exposes nesting grouse and other species like quail and sandhill crane to higher predation rates (Gregg et. al 1994, Brown 1982, Littlefield and Paullin 1990). Grazing on wet meadows used by sage grouse chicks reduces food availability and increases losses to predators. Fences used to contain livestock become perching sites for avian raptors that prey on grouse. Haying operations negatively impact many ground nesting bird species (Kirsh, et al. 1978). Waterfowl production also suffers as a result of grazing and haying operations that reduce hiding cover, resulting in higher nest failures (Greenwood, et. al. 1988, Gilbert, et al. 1992).

Hunters, fishers, and other lovers of wildlife have good reason to support the removal of domestic livestock from public lands. As livestock numbers are reduced, hunting, fishing, and wildlife watching opportunities will increase, as well as the quality of the experience.
[signature]
Hard to get anyone off welfare especially when it's been in the family for generations.
Think the tea party folks will address this? Even Clinton reformed other forms of chronic welfare
http://www-cgi.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1996/...fare.sign/
Great to know that for every dollar in grazing fees these welfare recipients pay in we kick in $5 to subsidize the destruction of our public hunting and fishing. Some of the same folks that backed an unconstitutional law here in Utah that give them control over public waterways for free. Like many others their greed is more important than their dignity.
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"]First of all I do agree 100% with Riverdog regarding the so called “Wellfare” of Public Land Grazing. The AUM fee of today is absolutely disgusting, and at the very least it should be raised to meet the price of competitive private leased lands. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]It will never happen however mostly due to the high level of Federal Politicians and major Corporations who are grazing at the public trough, through either Farm/Ranch subsidies or incentives such as extremely low grazing fees. Public land grazing and Farm/Ranch subsidies are one of the few things that finds solid bipartisan support in our current makeup of Congress. Just look at the Government mandated Corn Ethanol that requires us to turn 1/3 of our corn (food) into fuel, and the amount of subsidies that come out of that debacle. It makes Public Land ranching seem like a bargain.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]But this notion that Public Land grazing is totally bad for all wildlife is completely incorrect. Are there herds or ungulate populations that are negatively impacted by Public Land Grazing? Absolutely there are. The current Big Horn Sheep vs Domestic Sheep issues in many areas of Idaho and Montana are a prime example of this. But when it comes to other ungulates such as Elk, and Mule Deer especially in Wyoming and Utah, the number one problem with those animals is the ever decreasing amount of winter habitat. Most of the competition for forage between grazing and ungulates occurs on the summer ranges where forage is lush and more than plentiful to support both grazing and the ungulate populations.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Private land development into subdivisions, and Oil and Gas development, are only a few of reasons for loss of habitat for our herds during the winter months, when habitat is vital to herd survival.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]However even though I have stated all of this, lets look at Utah and Wyoming. Utah’s elk herd is at an all time high, your deer herds are rather stable, and your populations of moose, bighorns, and the introduced mountain goats are doing better today than any other time during my lifetime. Wyoming’s elk herds for the most part are doing just fine with most of the management areas at or above objective populations. The areas that are not have high unmanaged predator to prey ratios with a mix of wolves and grizzlies. Our Mule Deer populations are stable, and our moose populations or also ok except in areas with high predator to prey ratios. Our Antelope population is thriving, and our Bighorn is holding rather stable, except for a few herds that died off due to pneumonia (most likely from domestic sheep). There are more grizzly bears, wolves, mountain lions, and coyotes today than in any time in our lifetimes. Sounds pretty good to me![/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]But of course if you wanted to get technical, sportsman have and will continue to loose the most opportunity to hunt ungulates due to predators rather than those evil public land ranchers. Areas in Wyoming such as the Sunlight Basin, Upper Green and the Clarks Fork, have had the number of tags reduced dramatically to where these areas only offer a couple hundred tags through a draw system. Ten years ago they were General hunt areas. Then of course you have the Lolo in Idaho, and the Northern Yellowstone Elk Herd in Montana. Some will say that these herds were unhealthy and needed to be reduced via the predators. This may be true, but the simple fact is hunters have lost more opportunity in these areas due to predators, than they ever had from Public Land Grazing. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Control Predator populations = increased ungulate populations and hunting opportunities. Pretty simple.[/font]
[signature]
I've got a ways to go on Wyomin' in regards to cattle.

But in Arizona cattle grazing has wreaked havoc and this is true 70 animals are on the endangered species list. There are 116 species on the endangered species list in Arizona. 70 because of grazing cattle...Sad but true.

Wyoming as of 1988 or 1989 has 1.3 million cattle. I read in the year 2009 the cattle heards were reduced by 300,000...quit a loss. It was because of drought.

The question is how many of those cattle are eating the elks food? 1.3 million cattle versus 93,383 elk? If most of those cattle are on elk habitat then that offends me. There aren't 1.3 million predators attacking elk. But there seems to be competition between elk and cattle that goes unnoticed.

Hunter don't take lawn mowers and "mow" the elks food...that's the cattle's job. Hunters that follow the law don't offend me either.

Elk are not shot up with hormones. They are by far more healthy to eat.

So for that reason I never get offended my elk hunters but I can't stand the habitat loss....stirs me pot.[pirate]
[signature]
I'm one of those freeloading welfare cases I guess but I'm an avid hunter also. I hunted on a CWMU unit that was grazed heavily by cattle all summer long and I was amazed at the number of deer and elk drinking out of the man made water ponds and hanging out around the mineral blocks I found located in every draw. I found the same thing down on the Manti where sheep had grazed all summer long. The one thing I noticed was there wasn't a bunch of homes in winter feeding grounds.
[signature]

Here is a great video:

http://www.mikehudak.com/Presentations/RP_S.mov
[signature]
That's great but aren't CWMU private lands? I think those of us complaining are talking about subsidizing grazing costs and the damage of grazing on Public lands. I'm not a vegan opposed to raising livestock, I just thing that it belong on private land. I think it's absurd that we subsidize a few to raise a small amount of livestock we could easily do without. And don't kid yourself ranchers don't pay their share of taxes on their private land but then many profit and sell it for development when the price is right.
[signature]