Fishing Forum

Full Version: night crawlers through the ice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does any one use night crawlers through the ice. I have used wax worms, spikes, and meal worms. I was wondering how the traditional night crawler worked for pan fish and trout.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I use crawlers far more than waxworms. They work great for all species...and sometimes much better than the "high priced spread" (waxies).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Just as important as with any other bait in the winter you need to keep worms from freezing. I keep mine in a small Thermos and keep that inside a bucket or other protected spot. For the worm I am using to pinch pieces off for tipping the jig, I keep it in a small film container or plastic bag inside a pocket. Just don't leave any unused worm in your pocket after fishing unless you want a "wonderful" aroma in your gear on your next trip.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for your ideas. I think I will get my spikes this year but then try night crawlers instead of wax worms. They are more expensive and seem to be a little more delicate. I fish Mantua a lot and use spikes for perch and bluegill. Last year the trout wanted something bigger there and we used wax worms but I will try crawlers.
[signature]
I also like to use the crawlers thru the ice and find that (as above) that a small pinch workd well and produces tons of action. On lakes like UL and Rainbow trout waters they are awesome. I also find that they tend to last much longer in bad conditions than those other worms do. They always turn black after a trip or two and a crawler will last for weeks.

Shawn
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You should also use small bits of perch meat. A lot of the larger fish you catch through the ice at Mantua are full of little fishies...bluegill and perch fry. They eat meat.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I generally tip a small jig with about a half inch piece of worm. For larger jigs I use two small pieces of worm. I seldom use a longer piece of worm unless working the jig a lot for walleyes...and then I might use a 2 inch piece of worm hooked through the end so it wiggles enticingly on the lift and drop.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I used to take three or four different types of "foo foo" baits on the ice. Very costly and they do not hold up long if not used quickly. They also do not generally work any better than worms or perch meat. However, at the end of the season, when there is poor visibility (thick snow and ice) and low oxygen...a small jig and single waxie is hard to beat.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks. I will try that out. I will also try the perch meet. I like to save all my baby perch for cat fishing in the spring but I will cut some up for bait this year.
[signature]
Sometimes just using a plain hook and a worm works better than anything! I've caught many trout (rainbow, cutt, and brown) through the ice with that exact setup.
[signature]
I completely agree with TubeDude and all of his suggestion. I never go ice fishing without them.
[signature]
Thursday in our group we had waxies, meal and regular worms along with some minnows. Some days it seems to make a difference while other days it doesn't.
[signature]
I always use them. However, I always have spikes with me as well. What I have found is that I usually like smaller baits and presentations through the ice; JMO..

If you ever fish for Tiger Trout, definately concentrate on using the "Crawlers". They have worked the best for me. I will cut a worm in half and tip a jig...
[signature]
If you catch a perch with your worm pop the eye out of the perch and use the the eye[pirate] [Wink][Wink][Wink][Wink]
[signature]
ya and you can catch more than one fish on the same piece of worm [Wink]
[signature]
Has anyone tried the gulp alive maggots for ice fishing? I saw them at Cabelas the other day and thought I'd give em a try.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have not used them myself, but know several guys who use the bitty bites...like the crappie goodies...and say they work very well.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Almost anything with easy visibility and some attractive scent will catch fish...at some time. On many occasions the "artificial food" baits like GULP products actually outfish natural baits. Their only downsides is that they are costly and some of them do not hold up well on the hook.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Crawlers all day!!!! I like to use shrimp too. Preferably uncooked shrimp. Smallest I can find like raw coctail shrimp. I dont use waxies or spikes. Shrimp seems to work better. I always have one of each in the water and it sweems i catch fewer but larger fish on the crawler. Shrimp is relatively cheap too. 2.50 a bag and a bag can last 3-4 trips depending on how many your catching.
But the go to bait will always be crawlers for me.
[signature]
My question is, why would you think crawlers wouldn't work through the ice? It's odd to me that anglers associate certain baits with seasonality. You don't hear of too many using spikes or wax worms in summer even though they work just as well. I used to think it was nuts to use Powerbait dough through the ice for trout but it can work well.

Another thing, here in the Basin, where I live, it's tough to find any bait other than crawlers, mealworms and frost bitten chubs. I've never found spikes, my preferred bait, and wax worms are scarce and they're whimpy. So I have been doing a lot of ice fishing without bait and doing very well. Plastics from Northland, Lindy, Custom Jigs and Spins and BFT member, trfishin have proven to catch faster than bait on many days. My son and I have iced as many as 187 gills in 3.5 hours on these plastics without any added bait. Now I only add bait if the fish won't commit to the plastic.
[signature]
I will inject some scent in the worms like you do air..
[signature]
now that is a good idea!
[signature]
[quote sinergy]If you catch a perch with your worm pop the eye out of the perch and use the the eye[pirate] [Wink][Wink][Wink][Wink][/quote]

Hey Man - They've got a TOOL for that! Picked one up - just waiting for a chance to try it out. Only a couple bux.

As far as re-using worms, I'd suggest ok up to a point. Worms have a lot of natural scent, and if you use a whole worm I've heard it helps to "spoil" them - pinch an end off so it's "open" and can ooze it guts.
Once that worm (or salmon egg too) has been nibbled at and chewed on enough it will lose the gooey stuff from inside and lose some appeal. Plus they get all pushed around on your hook and get "out of position".
Also a fresh worm wiggles, and soggy one gets kinda limp and lifeless.

Bassrods - what type of scent to you inject? Ironic cuz I put worm flavor scent on my other lures.

Anyone catch Bass through the ice?