Fishing Forum

Full Version: Scofield ice conditions?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Heading to Scofield tomorrow with the wife and little ones. Anyone been out recently who could tell me if there is much slush or snow on top of the ice? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

copple2
[signature]
I was there a week ago today. Ice was just fine. No slush, and the fish were biting. Should be a good time!
[signature]
Thanks iceandfly...I will let you know how we do.

copple2
[signature]
Took the kids up there last Saturday. We caught fish in the 8-10 inch range. All were cuts. What makes me worried about this awesome pond is the amount of chubs we were catching. I love Scofield, but I am really worried that we were only catching small cuts and chubs. I hope this lake can get back to what it used to be!!

Ice was well over a foot thick. We took sleds all over the lake. You won't have any trouble with the ice, unless you have a hand auger.

Good luck.
[signature]
Where did you find the chubs? I punched quite a few holes looking for some, but never found any.
[signature]
The last time I went to Scofield was about two weeks ago. My son and I fished on the east side just offshore from where there is a parking area right on the shoreline. There was a plowed lane going down to the lakeside and it was full of other vehicles. You can access the ice with ATVs and sleds, so the parking can get a bit crowded.
I wanted some chubs for a trip to the Gorge. We fished in water that was about 14 to 17 feet deep. I used a small ice jig tipped with a piece of crawler under a small attractor. I was able to catch about a dozen chubs using the small presentation with the crawler. My son used a piece of chub and he consistantly caught small cutts and he got one 22 inch Tiger.
If you want some chubs, I'd suggest you try this same area and use a small jig and small piece of nightcrawler.
We were about 200 yards northwest of the parking area when we found the fish. There was a wall about six feet high made of bucket full loads of snow. If that wall is still there, it was about 25 feet from where we were fishing.
Good luck.

Mike
[signature]
Thanks for the help guys. We had a great time and iced over 40 fish. Sorry, but no pics.

copple2
[signature]