Fishing Forum

Full Version: Pointer 78, CFF #4-Chickamauga, Bass, 4-23-11, Dropshot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
<br /> Patrick and I started shallow in an area that held scattered stumps. I'd fished the area last week but the water was up 2-3 feet today and all the wood was under water instead of halfway out. Began throwing a black buzzbait. I'm watching my 5th or 6th cast when my buzzbait just disappears from the surface with a slurp. After setting the hook, I knew I had a keeper on. Patrick rushes from the back of the boat with the net. While keeping my rod low, I snag a rod with a crankbait on it that was sticking out the side of the boat. So now I'm trying to keep this fish on with another rod getting tangled in my line. The rod falls free right into the water. I forget about the fish and use the rod I'm holding to catch the handle of the sinking rod. I'm able to lift it up just enough before it sinks to the bottom for Patrick to grab it ( this was a St Croix rod with a Curado on it). By the time I focus back on the fish, it's now hung on my trolling motor. I'm thinking that this is alot of trouble for a 3 lb fish. Miraculously, it comes free from the trolling motor and makes one last dive under the boat. I'm able to turn it , bring it up to the side of the boat, where Patrick nets it. Before I see the fish, Patrick says "Oh my God" and hauls it up for me to see. My biggest fish up until that time was 7.2 lbs. I caught that one 12 years ago on Guntersville. This one hit the scales at 8.15 lbs. A new personal best. Patrick caught our next keeper on a swimbait and I caught our 3rd on a lizard. <br /> Water temps started out at 63 degrees but topped out at 66 degrees. All our fish came out of water 5 feet or less around stumps and laydowns. Of course the wind blew. It started in February and hasn't stopped since.<br /> We ended up in 3rd place overall with 13.50 lbs. I was beaten out by a 9.5 lber for Big Fish by Mike and Seth.