Fishing Forum

Full Version: Window at Lincoln Beach 5-25-11
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[cool][#0000ff]With all the crazy weather I have had to just watch for a brief window and then go fishing. Sometimes I don't know exactly where I will go until I get up in the morning and check current forecasts.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]This morning I had already ruled out Willard. First thought I might hit the Knolls but forecast was for wind from the SW. Yeah...right. I decided to hit Lincoln Beach. It fishes better with southerly breezes. Only problem was that the north wind started about 9:30 and got stronger all day.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Almost couldn't find the end of the south dike at Lincoln Beach. The high water has left only about a foot above water and is eroding what is left. Got launched inside the channel about 7ish. Air temp 43 and water temp 56 at launch. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No fish around the ends of the dikes so I motored over to the shallow cove by the pump house. Got a few whities fairly quickly and then hooked up with a "dorsal diner"...carp. Didn't keep the white bass but did keep the carp for future "reference". [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Worked down into the channel, fan casting and picking up a few more white bass. When they slowed down I rigged one rod with a bobber, 3 feet of leader, a bobberhead jig and a minnow. That was the beginning of a couple of hours of enjoys. If I plopped the bobber anywhere within about 10 feet of the reeds it did not float very long. Sometimes it seemed like it sunk as soon as it plunked down. Lots of cookie cutter kitties in the skinny water today...and they wanted to play. Fun fun.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]At one point it had slowed down for a few minutes and I picked up my tandem jig rig to pitch for whities while the minnow was soaking under the bobber. Down went the bobber and I got a firm smack at the same time on my jigs. Oh dear. What to do? I set the hook on the bobber rod and put it back in the holder to allow the fish to fight itself while I reeled in whatever was on the jig. Turned out to be a 21 inch walleye. Then I picked up the kitty pole and finished rasslin' with another cookie cutter kitty. Plumb wore me out. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That was my only walleye...but I ain't complainin'. Probably got 15 or 16 cats all together. Kept a limit of 8 for the smoker. Tossed back all the whities today...maybe 15 to 20. Nothing big and onesies and twosies. No concentrations.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Actually, I could have gone home at 9:30 and would have still have had a good day. I had my four species slam and plenty to take home. But that was when the cold north wind came up. Water temp had risen to 58.5 by then but never got over 59 before I got off the water about 1. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]At one point I wondered if there might be some action down near Benjamin Slough so I kicked and fished my way down there. Reminded me that I had sprained my right ankle last week. Dumb. Especially since there was little action there. Got one white bass and one small kitty in about 2 hours of diligent effort.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Motored back to the cove as the wind was still blowing from the north. Finished up way down inside the cove. The water temp there was a balmy 62...being in a protected area and getting some water from warm springs upstream. But only kitties were there to greet me...and tell me goodbye when I packed it in.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A few bank tanglers fishing the end of the south dike. They were making short casts off the bank with worms and cut up white bass meat. Catching an occasional whitie and a few bullheads. Should be a lot of bullhead action off the dikes when the water warms up again.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I just know you posted that Timp pic just for me, thanks Pat! She's now my work wallpaper.

Great pics. You always seem to do well down there. Nice Walleye, and not so nice Carp...but I understand you gotta do what you gotta do.
[signature]
Had wind problems didja? Thought you would have been out there today! Shoulda come to the knolls with me!!!! I was on the water by 7 am off around 12:30-1pm. [laugh] Wind was hardly anything all day even died down between 11-12. caught lots of whities. Cool morning started with water temps at 56, ended at 59. Even had another tuber show up that looked like he spent time at your place. Pics attached! Did see a few bank tanglers pull out a few kitties.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I was going to the Knolls but the forecast said wind from the SOUTH. That usually means waves on the shore at the Knolls. BUT...the wind was from the north which translates to flat water at the Knolls and lousy fishing at Lincoln Beach. It never did get real huffy...just enough to work my sprained ankle a lot. And I did catch plenty of fish. I had my fun with the whities last week. One of two harvests a year is enough for me.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad you got into some fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not sure who the tubular person is.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
It was a grey ODC. Not sure who it was either. A third tuber showed up just as I got off. Looked like another ODC.

Next week I am thinking it is time for Newton then on to Strawberry the week after for a little trout action. Then Starvation the week after that. Then I will be in Oakland for my yearly work trip. Then off to the boulders.[cool]
[signature]
TD-- I had to get out today too. Couldn't let a good day go by without a few casts. Started on the south end by Genola and hit a few gravel bars and some pump inlets working my way north. A few whites and a couple of grab and runs that were either cats or carp dorsals. Got to the orchard and noticed that Bird Island has been lost to the high water, at least I could not see it from the road.

Got over to the LB dike and chucked a silver spinner a few times but could not even entice a whitie. Noticed a tuber out there in a tube that resembled a porcupine, figured it had to be you. Glad you had a good time. I think we need some 65 or so degree water to really get 'em goin'. Nice day anyway.
[signature]
I figured that was you tubedude this morning tucked up in the reeds' I drove out to the end of the dike and its getting a bit hairy out there, not much room to turn around. I was wishing I had my tube to come join you this morning but was stalling time before heading to work. I thought i seen your pole in the "bend" position when i drove over by the pumphouse. That North wind had a bit of bite though, You must be a tough old bird! Im on for friday morning though. I notice you mostly use "red" i have always used white, chartrusse and pumpkin, I assume those are custom died jigs? Congrats on a good day, You could almost feel success there this morning with one full day of sun, the fish are probably celebrating also! Thanks for the awesome reports, it gives us working guys a "proxy" fishing trip.
[signature]
Nice report....uhummm, I did mention I don't work Wed. didn't I...LOL That's okay, your pictures do a good job on a day of lawn mowing and house cleaning (getting ready for the long weekend)
[signature]
See, talk about being in the right place at the right time.

I fished out of the Saratoga public harbor from 8:30 to noon today. Somehow I missed the wind forecast and had cold, murky waves coming at me all morning, in spite of the nice sunny sky and warm temps.

What shocks me is the Knolls report. I had exactly the conditions TD was trying to avoid. I NEVER had wind from the North; it was from south and east all morning, not too harsh, but pushing cold water against the shore.

I finally wised up and hit the Marina, but got no bites there. Managed 4 WB before that, down behind the big house south of the Marina.
[signature]
Awesome! You inspire me and make me crazy wanting to fish. Thanks for the great post. It sounds like you were trying for white bass when you hooked up with the walleye. Was your retrieve or overall technique any different to attract the walleye?
[signature]
Nice job TD its always a pleasure to read about your adventures sounds like a good day in my book bonus walleye
[signature]
" I notice you mostly use "red" i have always used white, chartrusse and pumpkin, I assume those are custom died jigs?"

[cool][#0000ff]Glad you liked the report. That little cove has provided both sanctuary and fish on many trips for this "old bird". How "tweet".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I don't only use red jigs. I use a lot of whites, chartreuses, black, fire tigers, etc. But I rotate around and it's usually the red & chartreuse jigs (see pic) that get hit the most. Thus they end up in the most pictures. I call them the RC Killers. Got quite a few other local anglers who swear by them. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]And yes, I do pour and paint my own jig heads. The ones I use for those jigs are a red glitter with the chartreuse eyes. That combo catches just about every species in Utah...including all species of trout. It hammers walleyes, perch, crappies and even catfish. Wipers like it too.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Nice report....uhummm, I did mention I don't work Wed. didn't I...LOL That's okay, your pictures do a good job on a day of lawn mowing and house cleaning (getting ready for the long weekend)[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Sorry sweetie. This was really not a seriously planned trip. I kept it open to where I was going to go...or if I really was going to go...right up to the time I left the house. On those trips I do not like to be committed to meeting someone at certain spot because my plans are very subject to change. In truth, I almost turned off at Lindon on my way down. Glad I didn't.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote FishinDoc]Awesome! You inspire me and make me crazy wanting to fish. Thanks for the great post. It sounds like you were trying for white bass when you hooked up with the walleye. Was your retrieve or overall technique any different to attract the walleye?[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]People get sick of hearing me say that most walleyes are caught by people fishing for other species...and anybody who fishes specifically for walleye is more likely to catch something else.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The "good news - bad news" is that in any waters that have walleye most of the predators will be in the same areas and feeding on the same forage. Thus, if you use something that will catch one you are likely to catch others. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In Utah Lake I almost always start fishing early in the morning, with the hope/expectation of hooking a walleye or two. Even though they do bite throughout the day...especially during the spring post-spawn feeding period...I usually do best early and late in the day. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When I fish specifically for walleyes I usually use 3" or 4" plastics...or crankbaits. But after throwing those a while, with no boinks, I usually switch to a tandem tube jig rig that does better on white bass...but also catches both walleyes and catfish. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The last two walleyes I have taken at Lincoln Beach have both been caught the same way. They both took the bottom jig on my tandem rig...the red and chartreuse tube jig with a red glitter head. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My technique is to vary the speed and retrieve until I get bit. Sometimes they seem to like a slow steady retrieve, with the bottom jig dragging the bottom in shallow water. At other times they smack a faster retrieve at some distance above the bottom. On still other trips they respond better to lifting or dropping or a bit of jigging action on the retrieve. And there are more than a few times I get a "pop on the drop". When the fish are active and aggressive...and if I fortuitously place a cast right on top of them...they intercept it on the fall. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You gotta stay in touch on the cast and not just always let it drop to the bottom before retrieving. I always stop the cast with my forefinger and immediately flip the bail to make sure the light is tight so I can feel the telltale tick of a quick biter. Whenever I get careless and am not paying attention I miss bites or lose fish to poor hooksets by not getting them at the right time. But there are lots of other fish I get by staying focused and snapping the wrist to set the hook whenever there is a change in the force.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Simple answer? No difference in the way I fish to catch either white bass or walleyes...at least while fishing the tandem tube jig rig. There is a whole range of things I do differently when I am targeting walleyes. But the silly white bass don't know that. They still hit the walleye presentations...even if the walleye don't. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote lavaman]I just know you posted that Timp pic just for me, thanks Pat! She's now my work wallpaper.

Great pics. You always seem to do well down there. Nice Walleye, and not so nice Carp...but I understand you gotta do what you gotta do.[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Yeah. I took the pic "for me"...because looking at Timp is always a plus on any trip. One of my favorite Utah fishing views. But I posted it for my HGS...and anybody else who appreciates it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That carp was actually pretty ugly...even for a carp. It was spawned out and very thin. I had a tough time getting the fillets off to cut up for bait. One of the skinniest carp I have ever caught.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]On the other hand, the walleye was round and fat...with abundant internal fat as well. Nice fillets that will join me for dinner tonight...scampi style over Chinese noodles. Want me to PM you a couple of bites?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
"What shocks me is the Knolls report. I had exactly the conditions TD was trying to avoid. I NEVER had wind from the North; it was from south and east all morning, not too harsh, but pushing cold water against the shore."

[cool][#0000ff]I have a theory that there is a group of Utah Lake trolls that live in a secret chamber in the middle of the lake. They have magical powers to create any kind of conditions they want. Like us, they check the weather forecasts...of competent meteorologists...and then stir up weather that is exactly the opposite of the forecasts.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]What is even worse is that they can direct one type of weather to one part of the lake and then send completely different weather to any other part. And this is the only logical explanation for the fact that whenever I elect to fish the Lincoln Beach area...based upon a forecast for mild offshore (SW) breezes...I invariably have to fight strong winds from the north. And when I opt for the Knolls...with a north wind forecast...my tube gets washed up on shore by the breakers from the south.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]I'm sure I have seen their ugly little spies sneaking around the shoreline to see if I am fishing. Then they text their findings to "Troll Central" and the bad winds start blowing in from the wrong direction. This is further validated by the fact that within minutes of my getting off the water it usually turns to glass for the rest of the day...unless I launch again. Then it gets even worse.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Life's not fair.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
That may be the best pic yet of Timp.
[signature]
Can you buy those tubes in the red or do you make them yourself.
[signature]
Nice work!
[signature]
[#804000]I managed to get down to American Fork Harbor and catch my first whities. I Got lost a couple of times trying to find some of the places you talk about, but the water was calm over there and the view was spectacular.[/#804000]
[#804000]Whities were fun on the ultra light and 3 wt., and I had to try my new Pistol Pete type jig.[/#804000]
[#804000]I tried to filet the bass, but by the time you cut the filets and take out the lateral line there is nothing[/#804000]
[#804000]left. I guess maybe you only keep larger ones. The ones that I caught and some of those that were caught around me were all about the same. The old timers told me told me that the bigger ones haven't started yet.[/#804000]
[#804000][/#804000]
[#804000]I should have my toon ready to go sometime today. I need to change the mount to accomodate the motor bracket.[/#804000]
[#804000]Do you guys ever hit Pelican Lake?[/#804000]
[signature]