Fishing Forum

Full Version: Bought a Kayak
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Had been wanting to buy a kayak for awhile and finally took the plunge on Monday. On Saturday I'd seen an ad in the paper for an adult kayak from Lifetime for $90 off making it only $110. Tested it out yesterday on Kaysville pond and it works like a charm. It's an 8 footer and won't break any speed records but still goes much faster than a float tube would ever dream of. You get a little wet from water dripping of the paddle but that feels fine on a warm summer day. One thing I'd like to add is an anchor so when there's wind I'll be able to stay in one spot. I can't wait to take the yak up to Mantua and cruise around chasing the large mouth bass. The Salt Lake City Lifetime Store still had quite a few in stock so if you're interested in getting a fishing kayak for cheap go there. Oh and the colors are yellow or blue. I choose the yellow one for better visibility but the blue one might be a better choice for stealth fishing. Maybe I should change my name to KayakDude! Lol. [fishon]
Congrats on the purchase! Not sure if you are an experienced Kayaker or not, so do not be offended.

I almost drowned in 2008 in a Kayaking accident and it was due to my inexperience. Myself, two other leaders, and 6 scouts were Kayaking on the Weber River. A week before the trip we went to a small (and calm) pond to learn how to get in, maneuver around, safety, so on and so forth. I had never been in a Kayak before. On the calm water of the pond, everything was easy and even though I was a first time rookie, I was confident as I've been into water sports all my life. I had watched others go upside down and pop right back up easily, and figured that is what you did if you got upside down and that it must be easy, as they make it look so easy, but I did not try it on the pond..
Back to the trip on the Weber River. We launched and all was well for a while though a lot harder to stay upright than it was in the pond. We approached a section called "the rock garden", and not being confident in my steering/rock-avoiding skills yet, I opted to go to the bank and walk around this section. I got sideways and before I even realized what happened I was upside down...and backwards getting into the faster water that goes thru the Rock Garden area. I'm not sure how I missed the part about how to get out of the Kayak if submerged, but I couldn't get out and I certainly couldn't just pop right back up like I had watched others do so easily. Furthermore, I couldn't even get my head above water to get a breath. Then I hit a rock and lost what little breath I had left in me. I honestly thought I was done and was going to die. Somehow, I managed to get one leg out of the craft and found the bottom with my toe and was able to get my head above water and get a breath, then get the rest of the way out and get over to the shore. I had broken 3 ribs and was a good thing I had a helmet and life jacket on. The helmet had some major scuffs in it from the rock I had hit and without a life jacket it probably would have been worse than 3 broken ribs as it absorbed a lot of the impact. I also lost my paddle during the ordeal. As it turns out, I was the only "rookie" on that trip, and everyone assumed I knew how to get out. I didn't and was dang lucky. Had the water been 6 inches deeper, I wouldn't have been able to catch the bottom with my toe on my one free leg and I am 100% sure I would have drowned as I was nearly done at that point.
I strongly recommend to any beginner that you go out with an experienced kayaker, and get upside down on purpose with him/her at your side to show you how to get out properly. (DO NOT DO THIS BY YOURSELF EVEN IN A CALM POND...YOU COULD DROWN!)

Not to take away from any excitement on your new purchase or anything...but if you are inexperienced...please get some training before you take it out! If you are experienced, then nevermind and please don't be offended!

For me...I will never, ever, get back into a Kayak. It's just something I don't need to do.
[signature]
i got my kayak anchor from cabellas for around $25, its like a collapsible grappling hook, its only i think 1lb but holds me just fine. congrats on the yak, your going to love it.
[signature]
Thank you N.E.T.O for your wise words of caution about kayaking. I do have quite a bit of canoeing experience and have even guided scouts on white water canoeing trips. White water canoeing (and even more so kayaking) are no joke and shouldn't be taken lightly. Just on the news last night there was a story about a couple who lost their two year old son in the waters of a raging, swollen creek. The kayak I bought is a sit on top kayak thus eliminating the risk of becoming trapped inside. Nevertheless I would never consider using it in white water (or very windy lake) conditions because it is not designed for that nor am I trained in white water kayaking. For me I'll treat it just like I treat my float tube, a craft designed to give me more mobility on calm lakes or ponds. I also wear a life jacket when using any kind of watercraft.

I don't blame you for not wanting to set foot in a kayak after such a traumatic experience. I too had a traumatic with rock climbing (due to inexperience) and you'd have a hard time convincing me to go again. Many outdoor activities carry inherent risks to them but I think the major lesson to learn here is gain enough experience before heading out (sometimes not easy when everyone else is going) and practice all safety procedures. It sounds like you were the last kayaker when the incident occurred and thus were left without any help. Definitely not proper safety when you were the least experienced in the group. It's funny because the rock climbing incident happened on a scouting trip as well. Just two more reminders I guess to be extra cautious when doing any outdoor activities.
Wow- that sounds like a great deal! I've been looking at sit on top kayaks online but they seemed pretty pricey. Does it have any built in pole holders or anything on it?
[signature]
It is a lot more pricey if you buy it online. On lifetimes website it has a price tag of $350 and at wally world is $250. Here's the links if you want to take a look. http://www.buylifetime.com/Products/BLT/PID-90105.aspx and http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dragonfly-Moor...k/10910811. It does have a hole in the middle that is designed to hold a sail (came with the one I bought but retails for $60 on their website). I haven't tested it yet but you might be able to hold a pole in it. I'm sure TubeDube could whip up some fancy pvc pipe gadgetry that would turn into something resembling an armored tank. There is a built in handle on the side that makes it easy to carry and the seat has a lid you can unscrew and put things in that you don't want to get wet.
Thanks, I might go check them out this weekend.
[signature]
Welcome aboard to the Kayak world.
Have been in the yak for about 6 years. Have taken tubedudes approach...PVC it. PVC thru D rings have given me rod holders for trolling. Get a 2 pole permit, one on each side. Put in a PVC tranciever mount, a small battery up front, got a fish fish locater.

They make rings that go on the paddle to stop the drip. Bring a plastic bottle for #1. Highly recommend wearing of life jacket.

One of the most fun, but difficult fishing is river fishing (Weber/Ogden) with ultra lite gear and spin casting. Prepare to get wet, lose some lures, but have a blast.

Color of yak does not matter...
[signature]
Wow, way to ruin it for the guy N.E.T.O.
[signature]
KVD, while it's still cold, just wear a pair of flyweight waders to keep from getting wet. Of course, never do that without wearing your PFD, just in case ya fall in!

CMACK, because this kayak is plastic, one can easily mount a number of accessories onto it. Any rodholder such as a scotty, fish-on, cannon, etc, can be mounted with screws or bolts/washers, and maybe a little adhesive caulk just in case.
[signature]
[quote ruppy22000]Wow, way to ruin it for the guy N.E.T.O.[/quote]

Better to be cautioned than killed I'd say. Seen this come up with a number of "I got a kayak" posts. Guess UL has swallered a few yakers.

So - you've got a double ended Kayak paddle? Guess that'll tie up both hands? I've seen some models have a foot-controlled pedal system. Sounds like not on this model? Yeah - you'll want that anchor and rod holders alrighty.
I had (have) an inflatable "kayak" - which is really a canoe with a kayak paddle. Was lots of fun - fished out of it a number of times. Fit in the main compartment of a backpack.
But - being inflatable - a good breeze and you could be across the lake or out to sea! A lake the size of Michigan - you DO worry about such things!

Sounds like fun, and as you say - a wee bit faster than a float tube, plus you're on top rather than in the water (pros/cons I suppose).
Well I've been planning on getting a kayak when I make it back to the states so someone please let me know if these things are really that dangerous. I mean a friend and I rented some in Florida once and took them out on the bay with no problem. We fought waves and wake and to be honest the canoe we took out was far more terrifying than the kayaks. I know it will take some getting used to but I didn't think it would be too dangerous of an endeavor.
[signature]
Gday KVD,

I bought the exact same one (but I got the blue one for stealth ; P ). Great price, I got one for my young bloke as well. Went to Deer Creek and had a ball. Make sure you have a life vest. I wore my waders which kept me warm and dry.

Good Luck mate.

Tigh Lines!
[signature]
How do you get the $110 deal?
[signature]
ruppy, kayaks are extremely safe (on still waters) as long as you wear your life vest! What changes the game is when kayaks are used on MOVING water. It's a whole different dynamic then! Go for it... you'll love it! Only negative to a kayak is that it is difficult to fish really slowly at times, esp. when the wind is blowing (ex. fishing plastics for bass).
[signature]
A sit on top kayak, you are just out of the kayak when things go wrong. On a sit in side you need to know how to self rescue before you go out. You should know how to do this even before going on a lake but most definatley a river. You shoulld get a lesson. I guess if you aren't you could go to a lake, have your pfd on and have your friend turn you upside down while he stands next to you so if you can't get out he can. I am not sure if that is really a good idea but before going out in a sit inside kayak you need to know how and if you can get out of the thing when it tips.
Be careful when you anchor a kayak. You don't want to do it in current for sure and if the wind comes up in a lake you can be upside down or filled with water before you know it.
I find this way better to fish in that a pontoon. I only use my pontoon on rivers anymore.
[signature]
Thanks guys. Like I said I'm not too worried about taking out a kayak. I will be observe all the obvious safety precautions (i.e. life vest). I definitely plan on getting a sit-in style with a large opening. They seem more stable to me but then again I am a noob and have no idea what I'm talking about. Maybe I'll end up with a sit-on who knows. All I know is I'm sick of bank tangling and my wife won't let me get a boat (yet). A kayak will open a lot opportunities that I could never exploit from the shore.
[signature]
Kayaks in still water are easier to get the basics down than learning to ride a bike. Of course there's risk with everything and nothing is idiot proof if someone lacks any common sense. I'm glad NETO is alive and able to walk (and he didn't maim or kill any of the scouts with him) after his ordeal but come on that would be like sending someone down a steep mountain slope on a bike right after they biked without training wheels for the first time. There are a lot of accessories available for kayaks. A drift sock can help you slow down if fishing in strong winds.
[signature]
N.E.T.O. gives good advise. Adult community programs gives lessons in the the SL community colleges pool. I sunk my fiberglass kayak at the Jordanelle 6 years back. The front was a little larger so the water went in settling in the back of the kayak and I fell backwards. It was embarrasing but whatever.

Please post your kayak pic. I'd like to see it and I kept on toying with the idea of getting anotherone
[signature]
Sit inside will keep you a little drier. Sit on top is far easier to rig and fish from. Malibu makes some good ones. Ocean Kayak Caper is a great lttle boat. Light, stable, and easy to rig out. Hobies are amazing but are heavy and relatively expensive. You get everything, seat, paddle, etx. plus foot power so the value is great. Wilderness makes good rigs too and the Native has the cadilac of comfort for it's seat. If you are going to spend lots of time out in iffy weather then get the sit inside but if you are mostly going to be out on nicer days then absolutely the sit on top is the way to go.
It is a great way to spend an afternoon. There are many kayak fishing sites on the internet and some great shops with good deals on shipping. Rigging it can be fun and it way easy to move beyond a simple means of fishing. I have two different Hobies and an OK Caper. The caper is a real fun boat. I am 6'3" and 225 lbs and it floats me and my gear just fine. It would be a bit small for me in big water tho but for most of the lakes I do it is just fine.
[signature]