Fishing Forum

Full Version: Holiday in the Basin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Fished Pelican and Starvation in the boat. No spawn at Pelican yet and I never turned on the finder so I didn't get a water temp. Lmb's are biting and in the shallows, never found any evidence of a guarded bed to my surprise. Bluegills hitting plastics twice their size like usual. Fun place to try new baits that I bought several years ago on sale [crazy]. Water is high and I didn't see as many carp as I did last spring...maybe they are waaaay back in the shallows??? (hopefully they died but I doubt it)
Starvation was 53.9* on Sunday. I'll skip the details, worst day of fishing in my life...I left my phone (camera) in my truck. My youngest,7, caught a 28" FAT brown on her second cast in 6' of water! Guesstimating at around 8+ lbs. I didn't even cast yet and the wifey was hollerin' for the net-17" 'bow. Monday got worse when I woke to snow at my trailer, snow on the boat cover. Beautiful pics of green plants and desert with snow...got blown off the lake around 10:21AM [crazy]but I did gain some karma by towing a boat back to the marina, I figured they weren't rowing a deep V for exercise-ran out of gas.
All rivers, creeks and farmland had plenty of water throughout my drive around the basin. Snow still packed into places I used to tent camp in the spring. Starvation is LOW and temps are going to rise in the low water, the spawn is going to be a bit different this year but the fish are healthy and the fry will have cover when the water rises. It works out for the best I hope.
Next trip is to the Gorge in a couple weeks and I'm hoping the weather settles a bit.
[signature]
We were also at Starvation from the 27th to the 1st of June, didn't see any snow but one hell of alot of wind and some rain on and off for several days. Caught pretty much everything, walleye, small mouth, rainbow, browns and a few perch. Tuesday was a beautiful day and my son and I had the lake pretty much to ourselves. We hammered the eyes but alot of dinks from 13 to 15 inches with a few 17 to 19 inchers mixed in. WET 1 visited our camp Friday night and we tipped a few and had a great visit, I know he did well on the eyes also. Great guy, thanks for stopping by Todd. See ya on the 11th for the Wiper Fest.[fishin]
[signature]
When do the gills and bass NORMALLY spawn here?

I'm thinking maybe this upcoming warm weather might just give the fishes the urge to scratch that itch!

I've never been out to Pelican before and would love to hit it with my fly rod sometime! I'm also in need of some serious LMB action!

If anybody needs a partner to pay half on getting out there, let me know! I'm boat savvy, have my own tube and more tackle than I need, and take my fishing seriously!
[signature]
Pic of the snow attached, idk how to post it on my phone.
[signature]
Pelican usually has beds by mid may, there is water that I couldn't get to that may have had beds but who knows. Should be on fire afterthis weeks warm temps. Im going to try to hit starvation on the 12th if things work out. Interested in splitting gas?
[signature]
You were deffinately in a different area than we were as we had no snow on our end of the lake. The only snow I saw was Monday morning up near Current Creek putting up some trail cameras and it wasn't sticking, wierd storm I guess.[crazy]
[signature]
Not that far, about 8 miles west of the bridge. I got some strange looks when I stopped at the gas station with snow on the truck when I stopped for coffee. Fishing was awesome despite the crappy weather.
[signature]
John, I'm very interested! I might be going to Vegas that weekend, but I am really doubting that will actually happen. Let's talk over the next couple days...

Kevin
[signature]