Fishing Forum

Full Version: White Bass Again
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My brother is in town from Nevada. He used to love fishing but hasn't fished for about 15 years. He said he would love to catch some fish again. I hate to fish so he did have to twist my arm a bit[laugh]. He finally convinced me that a trip out to the west side of Utah Lake was in order. We headed out right after I got off work. Man that water is getting high. Fishing was slow when we first arrived at 5:00 PM but improved as it got later. We managed 30 white bass between us before we called it quits. My brother was smiling. He bought a 7 day non resident license so maybe he is going to beat me again in the next couple days and I will be forced to drive out again[Wink]. BTW the girls have finally joined the boys for the spring fling. About 30% of the fish we caught were female. Some of the males and females were spawned out. Prior to this trip almost all the fish were male. The trip put a Smile on my brothers face and we did our small part to thin the hordes of white bass so not a bad way to spend a couple hours after work
[signature]
Great to hear that the weather has finally allowed some of the WB to do their thing. When we were there last week all males and 2 females with eggs.
[signature]
yep hopefully the temperatures allow the fish to spawn and take advantage of the great cover available this year due to the high water. I am still wondering how many fish wont spawn. Hopefully not too many. This is the first trip where I saw several females in the basket. Prior to this trip all but one fish I have caught were male. If they do spawn normally should be a bumper crop of fish of several species with all the flooded cover.
[signature]
Yeah...#'s should be great, but size will still be low. Fine with me tho...I fish with kids almost always and #'s are more important than size.
[signature]
But WB fry will provide bumper crop of snacks and meals for all the other species for a few years till they all grow up. Then we'll catch em....
[signature]
No need to wait that long as a few years even haha. A white bass will be catchable size in two years from birth. At the end of the summer it is from 4 -6 inches depending on the individual. After a second summer of growth it will be at approximately 10 inches the following spring and ready for spawning. When a white bass is 3 it will be 12 -13 inches. At four it will be 13 -14 inches. Pretty much all of them are dead after that point. If not caught it will emaciate over the summer grow skinny, get ich and die. I've seen huge 13 - 14 inch whites getting skinny and wasting away from old age. Some weird exceptional fish in certain areas of the lake live longer and make it to 14 inches more often but pretty much 90% seem to die at age 4 and 13 inches. The biggest white bass I've caught out of utah lake is 16 inches but that is only 1 fish ever. And there was one year I managed to land no less than 4964 white bass.
[signature]