Fishing Forum

Full Version: Is it just me or are the fish in Utah Lake bigger this year
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I personally have caught the biggest white bass I have ever caught, biggest crappie, biggest bluegill, biggest large mouth and almost landed a 9 lbish walleye which would have been my first and biggest Smile...just wondering if anyone is getting any bigger bites than in the past????
[signature]
Hopefully it means that the carp removal project is helping. Less carp means more in the food chain for other species. It could also be the result of several years of plenty of water. No matter the reason, I'm all for it. I would love to see the white bass average back up to 12 or 13 inches.
[signature]
[quote 2fishon]Hopefully it means that the carp removal project is helping. Less carp means more in the food chain for other species. It could also be the result of several years of plenty of water. No matter the reason, I'm all for it. I would love to see the white bass average back up to 12 or 13 inches.[/quote]

+1

My guess is carp removal too. Now we just have to keep the momentum going!
[signature]
I actually spoke to someone involved in the carp removal recently and he said there are areas of the lake where the sports fish FAR outnumber the carp....this is big news and like you say lets keep it going.
[signature]
Maybe you are just getting smaller? [Wink]
[signature]
I have not noticed the whitey's have been exceptionally healthy this year both in Numbers and in "thickness". I caught more 14 inchers this year then probably the 3 years previous. But that was all in one outing. The cats are Proliferating in obscene numbers though. I have caught more cookie cutters this year then normal. Unless I am using a half a whitebass (even then the little buggers half chew my bait to pieces) I virtually could not keep the catfish off my line. Not more big ones mind you just more little cats. There are no Walleye in Utah lake though.[sly]
[signature]
I have seen some good catches this year as well. We seem to be catching a healthy stock of fish from a few years back that are fat N happy. The eyes have been much more numerous as well.
[signature]
I got my biggest fish ever this year I'm not complaining [Smile]
[signature]
Everything has always been big for more than the two decades I fished it. But it used to be unknown, people would come by and say are you catching carp? Yep I would reply hahahaha. [Wink][Tongue]
[signature]
Stevef39,

What was it and how big? Don't be shy, I don't think I've ever caught anything "huge".
[signature]
A guy in my national guard unit is part of the carp removal and said summer is the hardest time to get the darn things out. High water is messing with them really bad too. But he said they are netting alot of big game fish.
[signature]
Wasn't huge just big for me 14 pound 7 ounce cat, by far my biggest fish ever.
[signature]