Fishing Forum

Full Version: Walleye weekend
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Starvation Reservoir – July 15th to 17th

Fished Starvation this weekend introducing/corrupting a buddy that is a bass fanatic…. Probably scarred him for life now, especially after sending him home with a bag full of fillets…

Friday, 7/15/11

We arrived at Starvation Reservoir on Friday evening and hit the water at 8:30 PM. Weather was beautiful with a monstrous full moon rise about 9:45 and no wind, water temps in the 73 degree range. We headed for Knight’s Hollow and started fishing over the weed beds. We dropped our harnesses over the side and went to work. My buddy Rod The Walleye virgin, scored first with a really nice 19.75 fish! I picked up a few wall’ettes and a nice 18 incher in the next hour. About 11:00 the bite just ended as suddenly as it started. At midnight we decided to call it quits and hit it again at 5:30 in the morning.

Saturday, 7/16/11

We launched at 5:45 AM…just before sunrise and headed back to the scene of the crime the night before. The bite was much better right off the bat and over the first few hours of the morning we boated somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 fish, several of which were nice keepers in the 16 to 18 inch range. About 9ish the bite died off so we decided to head up to the headwaters above the bridge and look for some perch schools and a few eyes. As has been my luck, or lack of it, so far this year we did not find much of either. We picked up a few wall’ettes and a couple of “jumbo to be” perch but not much else. We packed in about 3pm and decided to get off the water and recharge our own as well as the boat’s batteries for an evening fish.
Hit the water again about 8:30 and headed for Rabbit. Just as we were getting into Rabbit I noticed the net was not in the boat. I recalled the last time I saw it we were using it to haul our fish to the cleaning station that afternoon. Turned around and ran back to the marina and my buddy was able to find the net sitting right on the table by the station where we left it. Thank god there are allot of honest people left around as the place was packed! I didn’t think anyone would steal a net but thought there may be a possibility some of the hoards of kids that were running around playing may have picked it up to play with. Not to worry though as we were soon on our way back to rabbit. Fished rabbit pulling harnesses and throwing cranks for an hour or so without a single bite. Decided to hit Saluratus and see what we could find. We pulled the weed beds from 11 to 25 feet of water in Saluratus until about 11pm and still hadn’t had a bite, unless you count mosquito bites. Those squadrons were out in full force with no wind!!! We decided that since the bite was better Saturday morning than Friday night it made sense the the walleye were needing the moon to get up overhead before turing on. So we decided to call it an early night and hit the rack to get up and try again at 5:30 am. Rod decided to head home and score some points with mamma by showing up early with a bag full of tasty fillets! I hit it early Sunday morning and fished until 10:30. The bite was pretty slow for me and everyone I talked to. I ended up boating about 12 fish with 6 being nice keepers and the biggest about 16.
The magic colors seemed to be gold, chartreuse, and orange, no surprises there for Starvation. Found fish from 11 to 28 feet of water with the majority in the 16 to 20 foot range. Orange and yellow bleeder chains with half a crawler were very effective at times either Lindy rigged or pulling on a bouncer. I also really enjoyed seeing many of my friends and tournament co-competitors up there such as Kevin Lund, Wes Caren, Tom Davis and Jay, Peter (Letsfish) and his son Adam. It was great seeing everyone up there.
[signature]