Fishing Forum

Full Version: Mantua LMB's 7-17
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Mantua- Went out to Mantua with my twin and dad from 3pm to7pm. My twin nailed a bluegill in the inlet river as soon as we showed up and we saw schools of them in there mixed with the trouts but the trouts were pretty smart. On the pontoons my twin got 23 bluegill and 1 LMB at 8.5 inches. I caught 12 bluegill and 2 LMB's with one at 16.5 inches and the other at 8.5 inches. That was my 1st ever LMB!
The inlet bluegill was caught by droping a worm wieghtless and all the others were caught on a worm, bobber, and splitshot rig from the pontoons. The hook size was #6 and I used a size #2 and missed every bite until I switched. The location was literally right around the corner on the right side of the personal water craft launch up against the trees.
We noticed that the Bluegill bites shut down a for a while and then BAM the LMB's hit. It took a while for the bluegills to bite again. I released 1 bluegill and my twin released 11 of his bluegill. The largest bluegill was 8 inches long but skinny. I did see guys pulling trout out of the inlet again with fly's and worms. My dad was Stand Up Paddling (SUP) since he now works for the SUP magazine.
[signature]
dang!!! I wish I wouldn't have clicked on that pic of the bass! I knew better [frown]! well as long as your eating them... as much fish as you keep/eat you're going to start growing fins! [Wink]
[signature]
[quote utahgolf]dang!!! I wish I wouldn't have clicked on that pic of the bass! I knew better [frown]! well as long as your eating them... as much fish as you keep/eat you're going to start growing fins! [Wink][/quote]

LOL, I finally got my 1st laugh from this site! Yeah they sure do taste great beer battered, but don't worry I am pobably not going back to mantau any time soon. So many dang weeds. In fact most of the bluegills were completely covered in them as I reeled them in. You have to pick them off just to see the fish. Don't fret too much I am sure there are more in there.

BTW I do release some fish, especially when it is a fragile population, ie. ponds etc.
[signature]
you know I just like giving ya crap.. some other bass guys do get a little personal about it however..but it is weird tho, I started bass fishing this year and the thought of keeping one makes me cringe! trout, blue gill, and others not so much. it's a weird bass thing.
[signature]
I read in the Utah proc that 96% of Bass fisherman release their bass. I guess we fall under the 4% that does not...most of the time. In one of our library NAFC books it recommends that for every 8lbs of Bluegill you should remove 1lbs of LMBs. Considering we have pulled out 80+ (some were actually released) Bluegills in 2 days it was about time we hooked into some LMBs. Still no worries...its all in good fun. Thanks for the comments.
[signature]