Fishing Forum

Full Version: Pics of the Flaming Gorge Kokanee killers (7.15.2011)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since I'm getting a lot of questions about what we used, I grabbed some photos off their web site, but the good news is that these combinations were available at the BuckBoard marina store as well as the Chevron in Manila as of yesterday evening. (Elsewhere as well too obviously)

Anyway, we were using the RMT 5.5" dodgers and had the best luck with the RMT UV-super squids.

Far and away the two most productive combinations were:

1. The "Fusion" 5.5 dodger followed by the Pearl white Super-Squid and the UV pearl super squid and the Purple super squid.

2. The other very productive dodger/lure combination was the RMT Mojo-Melon squid behind the Lime Fire Ice dodger.

We had the best luck at 53 feet down although the 48 and 62 feet were also productive, I'd suspect about 70% of all the koks we landed at within a foot of the 53 mark.

Pictures of each combination are attached to this thread, hope they turn out okay.
[signature]
Additional info per requests from emails:

Squids were run about 8" behind the dodgers.

Area of the lake: North of the pipe line ~1.3 miles, East side.

Trolling speed: 1.4-1.7 mph

Scents used: Pro-Cure Salmon scent (also from RMT)
[signature]
OMG... I can't wait. We just bought a trophy this afternoon that has 2 electric downriggers and we're headed that way.
One question... how far back from the dodgers were you running the squid? I switched over to the RMT Squid last year to run behind my popgear everywhere we trout fish and do quite well so I acutually have a few setups that look just like what you have there exept for the pearl white. I use the sockeye slayer juice on them.

Any way how far back from the dodger if you don't mind?
[signature]
It's no problem or secret at all, all the RMT squids are designed to be run (at least behind the 5.5" dodgers) at 7.5-9" behind.

I'm sure everyone has their own little secret way of doing things, but about 8" seemed to be the "zone" where we were having great success.

Hope your trip goes well, please post with pictures upon your return!
[signature]
Thank you very much. last year was our first trip and we caught notheing but pup macs and a few bows. Rooky mistakes I bet. Hopefully this year is better. Maybe I find a new hobby besides ole bug bay wipers.... maybe!
Thanks for the help.
[signature]
Been there; done that.

At least during the time my family and I were there this past week, running a DR at 53 and another at 62 feet with the combination dodger and squid mentioned, at the slower speeds you should hopefully have some luck.

Side note, we did not plot that many fish on the finder at those depths; in fact we actually shut off the finder on numerous occasions; so try not to be hung up on what you see with the electronic eye. The fish ARE there at those depths at least for the time being.

Good luck!
[signature]