Fishing Forum

Full Version: Flaming Gorge 7-31-11
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Went to Flaming Gorge today with Conquest Expeditions again. We had a great time gathering salmon for the smoker. We caught a bunch of salmon and some pup macs as well. They had a bass tournament up there today so it was a little bit packed in the morning docking the boat. A lot of bass fisherman were complaining about the bass fishing being slow today. I don't think I say this enough but I love fishing.
[signature]
Haha! I love the use of Paint to censor the lures. Very nice. Nice fish too!
Looks like you had a good trip. Sure hate to see the salmon turning, means the fall is not far away. We haven't caught any in the Buchboard area that are as pink as that, but they are schooling up now, so they will turn soon.
[signature]
Are they still good eating when they are turning colors like that? Probably just let all those go but it was just a thought. Headed up there tomorrow afternoon for a week. Weather doesn't look to good but it should still be fun. Nice job!
[signature]
When they are just beginning to turn the meat is still in good shape. It will be another couple of weeks or a month before you can't eat them any more. Also you don't want to release kokanee. When they come up from 60ft of water to the surface that quick they can't burp out the air fast enough and they have about a 85% chance of dying. So generally anytime you are targeting salmon you should keep what you catch. Some of the guys on here can explain this a lot better but basically there stomachs turn in a knot when they get to the surface.
[signature]
Wow they are that deep huh? I don't think we were planning on fishing much deeper than 20 to 30 ft. Guess the bigger ones are always deeper. Well if they are good eatin than why not keep a few. I'm sure we will be having a fish fry at least once this week. Then bring a few home to be smoked too. MMMM MMMM MMMM!!!!
[signature]
I've talked to people this year that have caught them as deep as 100'. Then again they are caught as shallow as 20' at times so I'm using the 60' range as some what of an average. I'm sure you will be using a fish finder so fish accordingly.
[signature]