Fishing Forum

Full Version: Looking into a glass rod any suggestions?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
looking into picking up either a 2wt or 4wt rod (Haven't decided yet.) and was wondering if you Glass guys out there can give me some input for a good glass rod that really won't break the bank too much. Thanks for any suggestions.

Jacob
[signature]
I fish a great deal of glass and build them as well. Personally, I would look at 4 wt and larger. Glass is very slow.
There is "E" glass that is the slowest then "S" Glass that is a little faster. Then there is the mix. There is also Parabolic.
But to keep it simple, my suggestion, first glass rod, would be a Cabela's. These are light, which is another issue with glass, and great looking. Not to mention a warranty.

I would look at the 6'6" 4 wt. or the 7' 5 wt.

There are a lot of glass rods out there and a forum for the glass heads.

Heads up however, that Eagle Claw $14. job at Walmart is not a good example. The guides are not placed right and it hinges. Not saying you can't catch fish with it, it is just not a good example of the joy of fishing glass.
W.W. Griggs sells a VINTAGE that is a half and half. I love the rod. It is an 8' 6 wt.
I bought it at Sportsman's Warehouse for like $70. with reel.

You start fishing glass, I am betting you like it. It teaches you to slow down and correct your cast. Then the next time you pick up a faster action rod, you will be surprised how easy it is to control.

Bamboo could even be on the horizon...LOL
[signature]
I thought you would chime in Smile Looks like I'm due for a trip to cabelas. I never would've thought using a slow action rod would improve my casting abililty, but since buying that midlfex T3 my casting abilities have gotten alot better. Thanks for the input Smile
[signature]
I am so wanting one of those Cabela glass. they are sick looking.

Slower rods make you slow down and wait for the tug, if you don't it gets ugly. They are awesome at roll casting too.
[signature]