Fishing Forum

Full Version: Island Park, Idaho
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everyone. I will be hitting Island Park, Idaho and Yellowstone area in mid October. Anyone have any recommendations? I know Henry's Lake can be great fishing that time of year. I enjoy fishing rivers as well (Madison, Henry's Fork, etc). Any input would be appreciated. I know many people on this site are very experienced and I always enjoy learning something new. Tight lines to everyone!
[signature]
I really like to fish right below Island park dam,that time of year. Bryce buggers hammer them there. Big stonefly nymphs with glo bugs or platnium caddis as trailers work well. Henreys lake outlet area can be good also,nymph it like you would the weber.
[signature]
I actually learned to fly fish on the Buffalo fork... by Mac's Inn I think. I've never got anything big outta there, just bunches and bunches of lively little browns. Might be worth a shot if you're not finding much to hold your attention elsewhere.

Gosh I love Island Park. No real reason to go into Yellowstone (with all the crazy people/tourists) if you ask me.
[signature]
Thanks for the input. [Smile] I am really hoping to go after the big fish with streamers. I may also fish Henry's Lake, but I dont have any experience on the lake
[signature]
Make sure you tie up some of those Bryce buggers (in the picture) then. I will almost guarantee a bigun! My wife broke my GLX on a big one up there.
[signature]
I had fun there!

[Image: 100_0081.jpg]

[Image: 100_0084.jpg]

They hit Elk Hair Caddis, Gray WD40, and this one on a California Leech

[Image: 100_0089.jpg]
[signature]
Glad to hear it!
[signature]
Bummer side of it was I broke my 7'6" Hardy mid week...man I missed that rod!!!!
[signature]
I'm starting to think that area is cursed to nice rods[frown]
A 7'6" is kind of small for up there.
[signature]
Not for glass.... I am a firm believer in shorter rods. I really don't fish anywhere I need longer, but again I fish a lot of glass.
[signature]