Fishing Forum

Full Version: HeartBreaker
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I hooked into a good size brown today on the Ogden.. I was excited because i got it on a Scud i tied. Ive only been tying for a month so i was happy to see it work. anyway.....

So i new it was a nice fish and was doing my best to land it. So i was being as careful as i could. I hooked it in some fast water so i actually walked it down stream about 30 yards to a slower spot.. Like i said this was a big guy so i was on a mission.. then the unthinkable happens.. I use those slip-on leader loops that you heat shrink to your floating line.. Ive used them for years.. well this one failed it slid right off.. not only did i lose the fish, i lost two flies that i tied, and a furled leader from FG.. I also lost faith in those slip on leader loops. And to top it all off i know that fish wont make it very long with all that hanging out of its mouth.. FML!!!
[signature]
Sorry you had to lose a fish, a leader, and a couple bugs, but now you can learn and use the nail knot from now on. Think of it as a giant leap forward!
[signature]
Tarponjim wrote:[/quote]
Sorry you had to lose a fish, a leader, and a couple bugs, but now you can learn and use the nail knot from now on. Think of it as a giant leap forward![/quote]

+1 on that.

What i ended up doing because i dont know that knot was i tied a Rapala knot so id have a loop and continued fishing.. i knew that is not the right way to do it but it was the best i could come up with at the time..
[signature]
hook rot fast in fish mouths. a week and it should come out or pass threw. do wory he will live on....
[signature]
Add a bit of superglue spread out after the heat shrink if you use those again. Works for bead heads that occasional will come loose on a fly as well.
[signature]
Crossineyes: I know that a hook will rot out but that hook is connected to 5'of tippet and another 5' of furled leader.. plus indicator.. but yeah im sure he'll make it.

Riverdog: good idea about the glue! Thanks. But im still not sure if ill use those anymore. Just dont trust them now. And its not like i just put it on last night. Its been on there a while so i know it was on correctly.
[signature]
Dude, bad fisherman break knots and line and say "man, I'm having a bad day!" Good fisherman break their line or a knot and say "how can I keep that from happening again?"
They say necessity is the mother of invention. The nail knot from your floating line to a 14" or so butt section of heavy mono terminating in a loop knot is a good system to learn. A lot of new fly lines come with a loop built in now-a-days, eliminating th need for a butt section. But, you never know when you will be in bfe and have to fix your line up!
If the universe means for that german to make it, he will.
If not, may his memory be a life lesson that you honor in your memory for a long time ....
(This is the guilty part of my brain speaking, reminding me of all the little birds I shot with my bb gun when I was a kid)
PEACE!
[signature]
Okay, so now you tie flies. You have the tools.

Put some thread in a bobbin and adjust the bobbin so it is tight.
Cut the tip of your fly line at an angle. Fold it over forming as big or a s small of a loop as you want.
Take thread in bobbin (note, brighter colors can make cool indicators) and hold the loop and end of thread in one hand and wrap thread with other. When you get enough wraps of thread to hold the loop, then you can hold the loop and behind the loop and swing the bobbin to cover with thread.
When you get it all covered, whip finish a couple of times and coat with Knot Sense.

[Image: loop002.jpg]

All my lines that do not come pre looped look like this.
[signature]
I like flygodess' idea. I'll have to try it.

Just out of curiosity, what wieght line was the leader loop connector rated for? What weight line were you using?

I have found that I like to use a smaller rated connector than what my line is. Also, like was recommended, I use a bit of superglue on the connector prior to the shrink tubing.

I have lost connectors \ leaders on large salmon using a connector rated for the same size fly line I was using. I have since switched to using smaller connectors (5#) with larger lines (9#). It can be a little harder to attach, but they seem to stay connected. I've never had another issue losing them.

(I still think I might try making my own loop using flygoddess suggestion)
[signature]
[quote Tarponjim]Sorry you had to lose a fish, a leader, and a couple bugs, but now you can learn and use the nail knot from now on. Think of it as a giant leap forward![/quote]

Ahh, 2 steps backwards to get one step forwards, story of my freaking life JLG78!

You will get your fish next time, I am sure of that. So was that the only fish of the day for you?
[signature]
FG: I try tying that loop. Seems like thats a great way to do it. Thanks!

Tyedyetwin: No not the only fish...but the only one that mattered....
[signature]
PBH: connectors say 2-7 weight... use 5w line
[signature]
[quote JLG78]PBH: connectors say 2-7 weight... use 5w line[/quote]

I don't care for Cortland's connectors. I like the Umpqua Drew's Speed Loop connectors.
[signature]
I have gone almost completely to a needle knot (variation of the nail knot) and had very good success. The connection goes through the lines guides really smoothly. I lost a 20-25 lb chinook once because I put too many turns on a nail knot and it slipped off after 20 minutes of fighting the fish. Use 5 turns on the nail knot, I had seven.
[signature]
You nailed it PBH.. Cortland loops.

Think i got it taken car of. I tied my loop like FG suggested. I Tied it up last night and pulled on it as hard as i could. Seems pretty dam strong. Plus im thinking it will slide through the guides a lot smoother. every time i would bring my line in before the spot where the heat shrink was would catch on the first guide. Thats exactly were it was when that one came off the other day. I think it got stuck and beyween me reeling in and the fish pulling the thing just gave out.

Thanks for everyones help.. Problem solved.
[signature]
[quote Bowcutt]I have gone almost completely to a needle knot (variation of the nail knot) and had very good success. The connection goes through the lines guides really smoothly. I lost a 20-25 lb chinook once because I put too many turns on a nail knot and it slipped off after 20 minutes of fighting the fish. Use 5 turns on the nail knot, I had seven.[/quote]

The Ultimate for sure, but some lines have an inner core which makes shoving a needle in impossible. That's when I started doing the line loop.

Floating line is great for a Needle Knot connection. I still have several lines that I used the
http://www.tiemco.co.jp/english/products...shing.html

Click on Shimazaki Leader Splicer and a little screen comes up that shows this. No knots what so ever. Don't get any cleaner than this. Trick is to put a ring on the tippet end of a leader after you have attached it to you fly line. Then just keep adding tippet when needed, because that leader will be there for awhile.
And although it is just glued, it holds. I snagged a tree underwater...the leader broke, not the connection.

Also, if you ruin the leader, just cut it off about 8" to 12" long from fly line and tie a Perfection Loop. Now have a butt section.
[signature]