Fishing Forum

Full Version: Teton 9/29
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well got out on the river tonight and was on it tues night. Water is finally low enough that if your gutsy you can wade it in a few spots. Was deep though. Shallowest crossing I found I still hit a spot that was up to the front pocket on my waders ( Im 6'). Ive been on a push to learn more of our local waters than what Ive known before. So the canyon on the teton is at the top of that list. I hooked a couple in a deep pool on rapalas and then switched over to flys. Was throwing a hopper with a bead head dropper and split the fish I caught between the two. Not crazy hot fishing but when you have scenery like you do in the canyon it doesn't have to be epic. Here are some pics of the night. Sorry to the guys on dial up.[blush]
[Image: 2011-09-29180709.jpg]
[Image: 2011-09-29180648.jpg]
[Image: 2011-09-29182737.jpg]
[Image: 2011-09-29192130.jpg]
[signature]
First couple of fish had the parasite bad.
[Image: IMAG0030.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0029.jpg]
a clean one
[Image: 2011-09-29183841.jpg]

and my view as I topped out of the canyon tonight.
[Image: 2011-09-29195146.jpg]
[signature]
Lovely pics. Excellent composition! I particularly like the one with the sun glare--not always easy to pull off.

Shame about that parasite. I was reading about that in another Teton thread.

Still, I might have to get up there one of these days. The scenery reminds me a bit of the "narrows" section of the Upper Blackfoot.
[signature]
Thanks for the pic compliment. Something I dable in. Don't have the cash right now for great gear. Would you believe me if I told you those were all taken with a camera phone and an HDR App? True Story right there.

It is a lot like the narrows in looks and the similarities end there. Wink No moss, deeeeeeep holes, and the teton actually has fish in it these days.
[signature]
[quote Bmarsh]Don't have the cash right now for great gear.[/quote]
Hey, equipment is important, but a good eye and a sense of timing are more so.

[quote Bmarsh]No moss, deeeeeeep holes, and the teton actually has fish in it these days.[/quote]
Hah! Having spent a few days on the Upper Blackfoot since it opened in July, I can only laugh in agreement. I caught lots of cutts, but none over 15 inches and the vast, vast majority were under 10.

For a "no harvest" zone, makes you wonder where they all went. Maybe they're hiding in the reservoir. [:/]

In contrast, the Lower Blackfoot was very good to me. No bona fide lunkers, but a much better mix of sizes.
[signature]
Time for some good thread drift Haha.

Part of the problem is the winter flows on the Blkft. I spend a lot of time up there until the bone road blows shut and it gets down to a trickle. I think only 150 cfs is the usual winter flow. Makes very little water for the bigger fish to winter in. Now the rez...... thats another story.

Here is one from there this summer.
[Image: IMAG0204.jpg]
[signature]
Awesome 'bow. Strange thing is I didn't catch a single 'bow on the upper Blackfoot this summer--only cutts and a few brookies (above the "narrows" section where it runs more like a spring creek). I do catch 'em downstream, though.

As for the flow issue, that's an interesting theory. On the other hand, one of my favorite places to fish flows at less than 120 cfs for most of fall, winter and spring, yet the fishing there can be ridiculously good during these times.

The Upper Blackfoot is much shallower overall, but it does have a few long, deep holes and I wasn't pulling much out of those, either.

Go fig ...
[signature]
Beautiful pictures and fun fish. I can't say nice fish or even pretty fish. That parasite is really nasty!

I have fished the upper Teton a little, but it was spring and the flows were way up. I didn't do very well.

I keep thinking about the canyon section though. It is another of those on the "I'll explore it someday" wishlist!
[signature]
What is this parasite? I've found them on a really nice Rainbow I caught at Cascade Res>
[signature]