Fishing Forum

Full Version: CJ Strike 9/30
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hit CJ again on Thursday. Started the day late and went to the hump for some perch. Tried double tasking, throwing a drop shot with one rod while fishing for crappie/perch with another. It didn't work very long, there's just so many fish out there they keep you too busy to try anything else.

Headed upriver once again to try my luck for sturgeon. Skunked again. Tried from about 1-4pm and then from 7-9pm. Tried every bait combination and moved around every 30-45 minutes 'searching' for em.

Between 4-6pm I decided to pass some time bass fishing. I had a new crankbait rod that needed breaking in, so I picked a shallow bank and the bite was on immediately. In a short hour I boated 10. 8 were keepers. Fished another shallow point and hooked what I thought would be my kicker smallie. I was certain it was a 3-4lb smallie but was quite surprised when this guy came up. Hooked in the mouth as well. What is it? Didn't really have a sucker mouth and it hit a crankbait. Weighed in at 4.6lbs.

Fished for another hour and my best 5 ended up being a lone 16" incher and 4 at 15". Close to a 10lb limit. A lot of fun catching these guys on a crankbait. On two separate occasions I caught fish on back-to-back-to-back casts. All keepers. Sorry no pics I was too busy fishing.

Still can't shake the sturgeon skunk. Maybe next time.
[signature]
you caught a squawfish. aka pikeminnow as some call them i will die calling them squawfish however... the big ones are fun to catch ! the dinks are slimey and not to fun.
[signature]
Nice Fish! I don't care what bites, as long as they put up a fight! What was the weight? Caught about a 14 inch on the South Fork of the Boise last night. Put up a good fight on the Fly Rod. Everything seems to fight better on the fly rod. I'm just getting into it so it's still very new to me.
[signature]
Squawfish...I keep hearing these guys make good cut bait.

Bronco I didn't measure the fish, but it weighed 4.6lbs. I would guess between 22-24inches. I can only imagine one on a fly rod.
[signature]
As I am new to fly fishing, I'm using lighter pounds test than I am used to. I used to just reef fish in on a spinner cause i usually had 12-20# test, but now I'm using3x-5x tapered tippit? Is that right? I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to fly fishing, but I would compare it to about 2-4 pound test. Yeah it keeps it exciting cause I don't know how much I can play a fish. The hook set is what scares me! I keep thinking I'll break the line when I set it>
[signature]