Fishing Forum

Full Version: Salmon River Steelhead Report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Nothing to report. I fished about twenty four hours over four days last week and never saw a fish. Drifted Fall Favorites and Skunks. Talked to a few other fly fishermen, same story. Not many boats or side planners out either for this time of year. Water temps 58-60.
[signature]
they are not that high yet.
[signature]
I know of several taken by salmon already.........
[signature]
I know of several caught as well. They are few and far between too. I fished it below Shoup Saturday for veral hours and didn't touch a fish. I did see one come clear out of the water in the hole I was fishing, but no takers. Hopefully this next weekend will see a few more fish moving in. Come on cooler weather!!!!!!
[signature]
ok there is not a lot of fish up there?
[signature]
Well, I was referring to the Salmon between Whitebird and Riggins. I thought that my reference to boats and sideplanners may have made that apparent. Perhaps boats and side planners are common between Shoup and Salmon.

Anyway, the water temps were 58-60 degrees last weekend at Whitebird, pretty good for getting steelhead moving. I've been told, however, that water temps in the Snake above Lewiston are considerably warmer and may be inhibiting fish from moving up. Fishing is suppossed to be fairly good in the Clearwater and the Snake below the confluence. With this change in the weather the fish may start moving.
[signature]
It's not hot fishin' by any means, but they're there. My girlfriend and I ran the drift boat all Saturday and Sunday last weekend (1st and 2nd) on section 15 of the Salmon (starting at about noon each day) and landed one each, a hatchery and a native. Got a bunch of squaw fish and a trout or two as well.
[signature]
headed up on the 15th will report when i get back!!!!! [Wink]
[signature]
I fished last weekend between Riggins and Whitebird and did not raise a fish. Water now at 50 F and about a foot higher than past few weeks. Lots of back trollers in drift boats out and more fly fishermen. F&G guy said he checked one party with a fish all weekend but I'm sure people are doing better than that. A fly fisherman across the river from me landed one and lost another in about two hours.
[signature]