Fishing Forum

Full Version: drumking, Tims Ford, Black nose crappie, October 05, 2011, Bassert
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pat hauled me over to the Dead Sea this morning in order for me to get my annual Tims Ford fix. It was a beautiful morning and we couldn't have picked a better weather day. No wind to just barely a gentle breeze, maybe 2 mph. Perfect. Of course, we would have preferred a better moon phase, but it didn't matter to us. We had a great time.<br /><br />Pat started off ablaze. Caught the first fish. Then I caught one. Pat caught another one. I hung up in a brush pile and broke off my jig. Tied on a different color and sat there for a spell and watched Pat reel in fish after fish. The fish slowed down on this spot, and then we moved to secret hole number 2. I finally got smart and put back on the jig that I had in my heart to fish with today and indeed the one that produced the first fish that I caught. I started catching fish and Pat started watching. He never caught another fish, even though I gave him one of my secret lures. emoBigSmile I ended up with the last 8 or 9 fish before we called it a day. We only caught fish in 2 spots today. The fish were on underwater brush and about 11-14 feet deep. We were sitting in 19 to 30 feet of water most of the time. We never had a strike while shooting under the few docks that we tried.<br /><br />Pat's hot lure early was an Outlaw Special on a 1/32 oz jig. My hot lure today was a Mo Glo Ghost Slab Slayer with a chartreuse tail light. The fish were non-aggressive. Many times the line would just slightly tighten up and we would set the hook and the fish would be on. They might not have been aggressive, but they more than made up for that with the fight that they had in them. Mostly beautiful black nose crappie with just maybe 6 to 8 black crappie in our total of 21 fish. Only 1 fish was under 10" and 2 under 11". I was fishing with Viscious Hi-Vis Yellow line. This line is a co-polymer line and lays on the reel and casts very well. It is highly visible, but in my opinion, it isn't as strong as Mr Crappie. I could tell that the line broke a lot easier with I hung up a jig and I did donate several to the brush today. Now I need to glue up some of my spare Mo Glo Ghost SS's.<br /><br />We need another trip real soon. The moon will be full on the 12th. I just hope that the weather holds out nicely and the wind doesn't blow 15mph. Thanks Pat for putting up with me today and sorry that I got on you so much. Just remember Psalms 119:165. emoBigSmile emoGeezer