Fishing Forum

Full Version: Lunch Break! Odgen 10/5
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Was up in Odgen all day yesterday for a sales meeting. The resturant it was at just happened to be right on the Odgen River west of Farr park. I had some downtime around noon and decided to throw in a streamer just for fun.

The water was murky and there was a fair amount of trash around. Wasn't really expecting to catch anything... let alone 2 decent size (but rough looking) rainbows in 30 min:
[signature]
Cool as heck. That second looks like a planter with no tail, or maybe just the picture. What color of streamer?
[signature]
Nice! You wouldnt expect it by the look of that stretch of river but in the deep holes though town are where ive caught most of my bigger fish on the Ogden. There are some big browns lurking right in the middle of the city. But fishing is a lot better up in the canyon. Hit me up sometime and ill show you some spots.
[signature]
Nice,I have been avoiding the river because it was dirty.
[signature]
Yep, he had absolutely no tail. Does that mean it could be a breeder from the hatchery or something? Shame it didn't show the size in the pic too well, but his head was as thick as my hand. He put up a heck of a fight. A nice weight to him too, at least a pounder.

Neither looked like "real" river rainbows, way too pale and squishy. Both planters I think. But I'll take it!

Both on a plain black, size 6-ish woolly bugger. My ol standby.
[signature]
That is strange there are Planters in the river isn't it? Do they stock the Jordan? Oh you can tell that was good size.
[signature]
They stock The ogden quite a bit.. but as far as as have seen only from the mouth of the canyon down through town. There is a good population of wild Browns as well. Im pretty sure all Bows are planters. I have never caught a rainbow up in the canyon only in the lower river.

Very nice fish!! I think last fall I read a report by the DWR specifically saying that they had planted brood stock. So it probably just happened again. As high as they have been running the Ogden all summer there was less then normal fishing pressure. Their just finally starting to bring it down so the next couple months should be awesome!!
[signature]

[quote flygoddess]That is strange there are Planters in the river isn't it? Do they stock the Jordan? Oh you can tell that was good size.[/quote]

+1 to the good size...glad to see there are some lunch break spots in the Ogden area....now if only they would stock the Jordan! Guess Utah Lake's outflow does the job insted. The only time I checked out the lower Ogden was during the Ogden Marathon and boy was that river RAGING. With all the sand bags around the houses mid canyon I am sure it was near/at flood stage. If only SLC were a little closer I would be on that river more often. Guess (as too many say to me) "I should just stick to the Jordan".[Wink]
[signature]