Fishing Forum

Full Version: Fall Henrys Lake Report #2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I went out yesterday with two of my boys to troll on Henrys. One of my neighbors offered his boat so I took him up on the offer and it worked out perfect as I was able to fish keep both boys in fish rather then just fishing with one of them from a tube. (Thanks neighbor).

We started out fishing A-frame bay. My oldest son was trolling a Halloween fly and the other one was trolling a Panther Martin spinner. It was really equal for the morning as they both caught 6 each in that area.

We then made our way down by Staley Springs, Pintail Point, The Stump Hole and finally we found fish in the Wild Rose Hole. We caught a few there and then moved on to the Hatchery were we didn't find any, but I think it was the time of day more than anything.

After that we loaded up and went around to the State Park area. The ramp "hole" was crowded as usual and I had a hard time convincing my kids that it would be more fun to go search for fish when everyone was reeling in fish right and left just like the week before. Does that hole ever run out of willing fish?

We tried Howard Creek without success and ended up finding a school of willing small hybrids over by the Outlet Bay. If was a fun way to end the day as the sun was setting the fish were going crazy and it was easy fishing for a short time.

Overall it was a great day with my boys.

Halloweens and Orange Panther Martins seemed to be the ticket in our experience. Everyone I talked to was fishing Halloweens so maybe they will be sick of them soon.[sly]

Good Luck to any one who goes. I hope to find some bigger fish ice fishing. The biggest one was 19" again this week. Usually I can pick up a couple bigger ones but it just didn't happen this fall. Maybe the bigger ones are still out further from shore?

Windriver
[signature]
I made it out today, and MAN WAS IT COLD. Just about froze my toes off.

We just fished from the Frome County Boat Dock again, same as we did on the 23rd and 24th of Sept. The fish weren't nearly as actively hitting the surface, and our lines didn't see near as much action (worm & bobber), but I managed to hit my 5lb goal with a 27" Cutt that had to have weighed at least 7lbs. I would have weighed him if I wasn't worried about messing his jaw up with the scale - wasn't planning on keeping him. Got a dinky (in comparison) 16" Cutt the next cast, and then about 4 hours later, after lunch in the truck to warm up, I got hit by an 18" brookie on a worm and weight.

[inline frome1.jpg]

[inline frome2.jpg]

[inline frome3.jpg]

Wish my wife had gotten one...was really bummed to see her freeze and not even get a bite.
[signature]
ya, the County Boat Dock was not nearly as busy as the State area yesteray. Glad you found a few willing to bite. I didn't get anything near that big good for you. I don't know if I will make it up again until ice. Already planning on spending a lot of time up there ice fishing.

Windriver
[signature]
You know, if you wouldn't mind having an ice fishing buddy and I can get over my probably unfound fear of it, I might just ask if I can make some trips up with you when the time comes. Let me know if you're interested - I'm good for a portion of travel expenses and sammiches.
[signature]
I went up on Tuesday and also went up today. Both days I had about the same luck, landed 3 and missed another dozen or so. I can't believe how many fish are stacked up on the shore. I also go planning on taking my tube out but I look at the banks and can't convince myself to go out deeper. I've been getting them to bite on small nymphs for the most part and they would occasionally hit a leech. Nothing big for me either, just the cookie cutter size.
[signature]
from the shore the guys fishing chironomids with an indicator seemed to be doing best.

windriver
[signature]
You are always welcome. It might scare the bejezzas out of you how thin early ice on Henrys can be. Just dont stand next to me.[crazy]

windriver
[signature]
Excellent fish, bowman. Three like that should make anyone's day!
[signature]
thanks for the report windriver........your right about there being a never ending supply of fish at the state docks. But willing im not sure haha. every time i am there i see about 1 out of 4 actually takes the fly the rest are snagged. I dont think they are trying to, its just impossible to bring your fly through a solid mass of fish without snagging some. Since i dont have a boat and am normally fishing with friends that are new to the sport, I am normally fishing there when i am at henrys, but i have found that if you switch flys and or colors about every 3 or four fish, the majority i catch are in the mouth. if not i think the trout get used to the fly and swim past it and then when your strippin that bugger in..Wham you snagged a fish. I am hoping to make it up to henrys this wednesday and friday or at least friday for sure.

sounds like a good trip to all that went. Bowman thats one beautiful cut you have there. and a nice brookie
[signature]