Fishing Forum

Full Version: STEELHEAD?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey does anyone have a fishing report for bellow Shoup? Haven't been able to make it out yet to try and hook into some steelies but would love to hear if anyone else has and about where they have been fishing. I hope to make it out just before Thanksgiving that is the soonest that I can because of school and work so any help would be great![bobhappy]
[signature]
They're here. I live in Salmon and we have been catching them all week. Only gonna get better till the big freeze.
[signature]
Thanks SteelFan, any suggestions as to what to use and where to go?[/reply]
[signature]
Buddy of mine got back yesterday from fishing Indianola down fishing plugs and they landed 10 fish in a day. They tried flies earlier in the week and didn't have much luck. The rest of the group that stuck w/ plugs the whole time reportedly did pretty well the whole time.
[signature]
We have been using spoons mostly. Have picked up on a corkie and helgie as well. It has been cooler today with not much warmer weather being forecast this week. They should really be turning on now. Wish Saturday would hurry up as I gotta work the rest of the week.
[signature]
What kind of spoons or spinners do you have luck with in the fall? I have never fished spoons or spinners for steelhead. Last fall we did ok with beads and puff balls.
[signature]
Spoons have been silver with a blue stripe. Also have hooked up on solid green. I prefer the pear shaped hammered ones. I generally fish with 1/2 oz spoons in faster water and 3/4 to 7/8 oz for deeper slower water. Spinners that work are silver or a tarnished bronze or black . The clearer the water the smaller the size. Size 3 for clear water (I have seen people go as small as a 1 in gin clear water ) and up to a 5 for murkier water. You want to bounce them on the bottom and as slow as possible maintaining a spin or wobble. Hard to get used to at first, but can be deadly once you get the hang of it. Spinners and spoons can get expensive as you'll lose many until you get the right action figured out.
[signature]
Thanks for the reply. I will pick some up and give them a try next week when we come up.
[signature]