Fishing Forum

Full Version: Show me your steelhead pre-tied leader method. Please.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just wondering if there are any tips from you pros.

I normally spend 50% of my time tying up new rigs on the bank and I'm sick of it. I've heard people pre-tie them and save a lot of time. So what's your process? And how do you pack them without getting a tangled mess?

And I normally drift fish with tube weights and fly. No bobber.

Thanks!
[signature]
I am no expert but this is how I store the pre-tied rigs.
[signature]
If you are doing the whole rig with the corky/bead, and a hook and swivel the way steefan does it is effective. If you are only doing a hook/fly and a leader the Pips Box is definitely the way to go.
[signature]
I usually tie up the leader w/ the hooks and keep them in a pips box. I've also used the method shown by steelfisher but minus the corky and bead. I always add them later in case a slightly different arrangement is called for. I'll add the corky and/or bead when tying on.
[signature]
I tie 25 in each color of corky I carry and put them in sandwich baggies and them put the baggies into a quart ziplock. I pretie my weights as well.
[signature]
I'm a baggie in a baggie guy!

For side drifting I like a double hook set up, off-set 1 hook forward and 1 backward with a soft cheater or puff bal lin between - these are on #4 hooks with both tied with eggloops for use with a small roe offerings on the top hook!

[Image: IMG_0353.JPG]

it worked on this little guy and several others last Sunday!

[Image: IMG_0324.JPG]
[signature]
I found these baseball card pages when I was cleaning out some old junk and figured they would work for putting tied leaders in. I put 18 rigs in one page and they fold up nicely in my tackle box.
[signature]
Foam rolls like steelfishers on a leader roller in the boat and pips container when I'm bank fishing.
[signature]
Now I'm stealin' the pages out of my sons old card collections! Thanks!

I've liked the baggies, but the sheets look like they are still way more space saving over the pipe wrap tangle rolls and a little more orginized than ziplocks!
[signature]

Theres good reason any guide boat you take a look in has all their gear pretied on foam rolls and appropriatly posistioned in their boats...... its quick and efficient. One dude I worked for had the leaders tied with a very tiny quality barrel swivel so when a client broke off all I had to tie on was a duo lock snap swivel, slide on a fresh leader and a prepunched piece of lead and the rod was ready to fish again.
[signature]
Thanks for all the tips...I really like the card holder idea. I'll try it.
[signature]
card holder worked today[Image: DSCN0045-1.JPG]
[signature]
So Jealous!!!!!! i have been so focused on deer t6hat i havnt fished at all. well that changes this week. i will be headed to up to the oriphino area.
[signature]
Awesome fish! I was planning on being up there in a week but not sure if it is going to work out. Seeing your pictures makes me more determined to make it happen!
[signature]
my son might as well have hit the lotto today

he made a little cocktail out of a sand shrimp tail and a peice of last weeks special cured roe, about the size of a pencil eraser and rolled it along the bottom?

[Image: DSCN0059.JPG]
[signature]
Congrats on your son's Monster Steelie Osprey!

Nice fish!!!
[signature]
The only reason you haven't been banned yet is because you do offer some good educational information. There is no reason to harass any of our members. As a general rule we ask that posters on this board are helpful not hurtful. You have crossed the line. Please refrain from this type of verbal harassment in the future.

Thanks
Windriver

Nice fish Osprey.
[signature]
Sorry for being brutally honest. Osprey I know your quite the hero at the "pipe" and your son did catch a nice. one. To each his own, I enjoy fishing away from the hatchery and you enjoy fishing at the hatchery......... As long as we enjoy what we are doing that all that counts. Sorry for the rude remark. [Wink]
[signature]
um... I'd just like to know where that pipe is. Wow- nice fish!!!
[signature]
the last 4 days we drifted from button beach above Kamiah to Peck, below Orofino. We hooked 16 caught 11 most were by sidedrifting last weeks roe.
the pipe is at the hatchery in Orofino.
[signature]