Fishing Forum

Full Version: any Chesterfield reports?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone been to Chesterfield over the last few days? been hearing good things but I'd like to hear some first hand news if anyone has any.
[signature]
was there on last thursday, not fising just checking it out. guy was sitting by rest area with a full string of nice browns...... bait, worms and mellowsSmile wack em and stack em!!!
[signature]
There are Browns in Chesterfield?
[signature]
Ive never even heard of a brown coming out of Chesterfield let alone seen one.
[signature]
Browns could easily be in there. There are browns in one of the irrigation ditches that - for part of the year- flows into Chesterfield.
[signature]
im not saying they couldnt be in there but it was a surprise to read that.
[signature]
Full string of browns should have been two right?
[signature]
[quote cpierce]Full string of browns should have been two right?[/quote]
That left me with a Smile.
[signature]
As mentioned the fish limit is two, and I fish this reservoir on a regular basis there are a few browns and cutts that come thru most likely the Portneuf inlet, but they are very few and far between.
[signature]
I was unaware of browns in there also, always thought of chesterfield as pretty much a rainbow fishery. wouldn't complain at having a good reservoir like that being full up with brownies though [cool]
[signature]
The browns were stocked in there from 1979 to 1998. They (and the chubs!) have survived in some of the little inlets through all of the poisonings and drying up that Chesterfield has gone through since that time. They are tough buggers, but as was said ....probably very "few and far between".
[signature]
In the Idaho fish stocking reports it shows that Browns were planted in Chesterfield between 1979 and 1998. My brother caught one tubing about 7 or 8 years ago. That is the only one I have seen or heard of.
[signature]
Chesterfield is basicly the start of the portneuf.. there is at the very most a 20 yard secrion of chesterfield that looks like a river!! Just had to clear that up.. and there use to be perch in there as well.. i remember in the 90's catching perch.. the f&g also experimented with lmb but none survived.. there stocking repirt only shows some of what they do....
[signature]
[quote jeremypeace]Chesterfield is basicly the start of the portneuf.. there is at the very most a 20 yard secrion of chesterfield that looks like a river!! Just had to clear that up.. and there use to be perch in there as well.. i remember in the 90's catching perch.. the f&g also experimented with lmb but none survived.. there stocking repirt only shows some of what they do....[/quote]

Well yes and no. Chesterfield, technically is definitely not the beginning of the Port. The Portneuf river is joined by Jeff Cabin Creek, Russ , Spring, Rocky Canyon, and probably a few others small tribs before entering the very North end of Chesterfield Reservoir on the Indian Reservation. If you look at a topo map you can see the Porteuf River North of Chesterfield resevoir flowing thru the Portneuf valley and eventually into the reservoir(this area is all reservation land). But yeah, I'm not sure if the flows are every that high to really call it much of a river on the reservation???
[signature]