Fishing Forum

Full Version: had to do it so i did!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Went and fished the new comunity pond in pocatello!!! Needless to say it was just as i suspected easy to catch fish and very big ugly planters at that... well i went so i could add bannana trout to my list and that i did many times over again.. it was a fun day of easy fiahing pulled 11 out in about an hour.. didnt keep any of course.. i was using krocidiles!!! Orange/white and gold/orange.. slowly jigging them in.. i troed to show and help every one i scene because every one i was watching had a very poor catch rate i only scene 2 other fish caught in that hour. And its suprising how people find it offencive when you try and help them inprove there catch rate... also how Angry people get when they see you release the fish...
[signature]
That is funny! I have done the same thing up here in Idaho Falls, I stopped by ryder park just to kill some time and see if it was worth taking my three year old and I was just fishing away watching grown men using worm and bobber or corn or some other type of bait. I was using some steelhead gear that I have been putting together just to see if it would work and I was catching plenty of fish. I really wanted to catch a banana as well so the last cast that I made before going to work hooked into one. Every one around me was getting mad that I would throw them back as well. Grown men need to realize what these little community ponds are for, KIDS or catch and release! Have fun and take a kid fishing![fishon]
[signature]
I think a lot of the people who fish those ponds are just in it for meat. The idea of fishing for fun is totally alien to them and they can't even comprehend releasing a fish.

So are those banana trout the same as albino rainbows, or are they different?
[signature]
They looked allot like a rainbow but yellow orange in color..
[signature]
Maybe I'll have to go check them out the next time I'm visiting my wife's family in Pocatello.
[signature]
They are more yellow and do not have red eyes. Also called Palominos.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Palomino+...iALi3eTuBA

A lot of people call them Goldens or Albino's, but they really are in their own class...LOL
[signature]
The same thing happened to me at Ryder park in IF. I was casually trying to help some people near me. They didn't want any part of my advice.

This guy was using 14lb test, a bobber the size of my fist, and a size 1/0 hook. I wonder why he was having a hard time with the planters.[crazy]

Windriver
[signature]
It takes all kinds, man. LOL..... SLOL.
[signature]
Yeah they are neat probly because there somthing new for me to catch!!! I was talking with a f&g warden on the scene and he said they put some palamino's and rainbows in thete some as big as 10lbs... he said biggest palamino they put in were 8lbs..
[signature]
I am glad they finally got it in and finished, except for the landscaping, or so I understand. I haven't been by there since it is done, but my opinion is that with so little fishing for families in the area, they should put a 2 fish limit on the trout. Not because of a shortage of fish. I know they plan to stock it as much as is needed, but I foresee it becoming a meat market where kids and small families are elbowed out. Especially for this first year or so when it is getting settled in and the novelty hasn't worn off. Same with Crystal Springs, it is fished out almost before the hatchery truck gets out of the parking lot.

Later on they might add pan fish and bass to the mix, but that is really going to be up to how the water temps and things go.
[signature]
you would think the fish fresh from the hatchery would be about the worst choice to eat and to tell you the truth i would like to see a lot of places go to a 2 fish limit.
one thing nice about the filer ponds is they have a pond set aside just for the kids and you can take them there just about any time of the year put a fly pole in there hand or a clear bobber and fly and they can catch fish tell there tired of reeling them in. I have seen a few adults fish it and it doesn't take long before someone or my self goes over and talks to them let them know there steeling the kids fish.
[signature]
did they look like this.....

Sadly this is what the Pa fish and boat stocks as trophy trout......
they look beautiful in the water but i think they are ugly outside.
[signature]
The land scaping is going to be very nice once they are finished! I went there today to take my 3 year old and the f&g were there planting grass seed and such.. i think its going to be very nice.. i dont for see it ever being more than a trout pond because if it were to flood it is less than 50 feet from the portneuf
It has already started to die down on people.. there was only a handfull of people today.. probly because the f&g were there and every onr was worried about getting checked for a license. Which they need to do as when i went the other day i talked to a few people without one..
[signature]
Makes me want to go if for nothing else than try and catch one of those big ones to turn loose and watch the reaction of all around.
[signature]
Cool, thanks for the link. I like that they have the red band down the side that the albinos are lacking. Well, guess I'd better go catch one. I'm always excited to catch a new fish, even if it is just a mutation of a species I've caught [Smile]
[signature]
It is fun to spot them swimming around. For myself I don't know if they are ugly or if they just remind me of a goldfish. I do know that kids just go nuts when they catch them, and that is what it is all about.

They must be an osprey's dream come true!
[signature]
[quote cpierce] but my opinion is that with so little fishing for families in the area, they should put a 2 fish limit on the trout. Not because of a shortage of fish. I know they plan to stock it as much as is needed, but I foresee it becoming a meat market where kids and small families are elbowed out. Especially for this first year or so when it is getting settled in and the novelty hasn't worn off. Same with Crystal Springs, it is fished out almost before the hatchery truck gets out of the parking lot.
[/quote]

First year, isn't long enough. At Wilson ponds here in Nampa, they get pounded every day. A stocking will only last 1-2 days at best before most of the fish are caught. The trophy pond has very few trophies left in it due to poaching and I've never been checked there. It is the same way with all the local ponds with only a few exceptions I won't mention because I'm saving them for myself. The only good thing I see about the way most of these places are administered, is that it keeps those people in town and away from the places I like to go to get away from them......

2 fish limits won't even fix the problem, without enforcement.....[frown]
[signature]
Well the thing is! Is that people today are getting lazy so fishing and hunting is a dying sport.. its only a matter of time before we have no one to compete with when out..
[signature]
They opened the one in IF after I moved to Boise, so when I was back for a visit thursday my wife and I went to check it out. There were probably 14 cars there, most people were setup around the inlet where you could easily see 20-30 yellow trout and I'm sure there were as many or more regular rainbows that blended better. Hardly seems sporting at that point.

We went around the pond a bit, bent the barbs down on our hooks and fished for the fun of it. My wife caught a couple just with worms, I decided to try lures that I need practice on. It was kinda fun to retieve a lure and watch the fish follow or strike at it, reel fast or let it stall and settle to the bottom. Kinda helps to better understand what is going on when I'm in deeper water. Next time I need to take the fly rod and play with that a bit, get my timing down.

Does anyone know if the new IF pond has had an effect on the number of people at the 14 and under pond?
[signature]