Fishing Forum

Full Version: Looking for a fly idea...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to tie some Streamers for my father inlaw. He is not a fly fisherman but he is an avid Bass guy out in Southern California. So I want to try to tie him some stuff that he can use with a spinning rod. Colors, size etc..
[signature]
Tie up some cray fish patterns
[signature]
U could tie some hair jigs there great for bass
[signature]
I agree on Jigs. Maybe some poppers, they would work with a bubble I would think.

How about some Clousers too. With the dumbbell eyes they could cast great.
[signature]
Cray fish sound great. Are they difficult to tie? Hair jigs? Ill have to look that up for sure. Have you tied those before? Id like to see a picture...And the minnows im sure are a safe bet.. Maybe ill just have to make him a variety! Thanks guys.
[signature]
For Jigs, I was thinking Chenille, Schlappen or Chinese Rooster Saddle. ANd MARABOU. Just basically a woolly bugger.

How about some of these:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q...ps-sellers

some cool makeable ones here

http://www.clouserflyfishing.com/
[signature]
Those Sili Snakes look awesome!
[signature]
WOW, and easy as heck to make. Maybe tie in some sili legs behind the head too.
[signature]
I like the bucktails like these especially for smallies
[signature]
Two of those look like Marabou. Nice
[signature]
Heres a real simple crayfish pattern

http://globalflyfisher.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63
[signature]
Any type of wooly bugger with big ol' dumbell eyes. I never (probably should) look at videos on how to tie certain flies, I just get too antsy and head to the vise for trial and error. Lot's more fun (and expensive) that way. I like marabou and rabbit strips for my heavier flies, and especially for bass flies. I like heavier synthetics as well as opposed to natural feathers/dubbing.
I think im going to go with the cray fish an the hair jigs. Ill probably tie them up pretty quick because its for christmas. Ill post some pictures when I have them done. Thanks for all the input.
[signature]
I tied a crayfish last night and it didn't come out to bad.. I mean its not perfect but a decent first try. thanks for that link... I going to try it a couple more times tonight.

I also went and picked up the materials today to tie the streamers. Im got some of those dumbbell weighed eyes. I also picked up a good variety of marabou colors. Im just going to do some different color mixes. I figured ill keep it simple since im just get into tying.
[signature]
Right on Also dont forget youtube there lots of fly tying video's. Couple of Utah guys like Curtis Fry I see his flies in the sl trib have videos up there.
[signature]
And Cheech, he loves Bass fishing...Tube Dud here.
[signature]
Tied these last night. Not fancy but should work for him.
[signature]
I would say so...nice color choices...that is a great job. Can't wait to hear the tail of the trophy landed on one.
[signature]
Good color choices. Those should work nice for your dad.
[signature]
Thanks. I know you can't see them all in the pic but colors are.. Orange/Black,Red/Black,Red/Olive/white. #2 hooks 1/4 weight head. Im stilll going to tie up some crayfish. Ill put up a pic of those too when i get them done.
[signature]