Fishing Forum

Full Version: Castaic fishing report for 9/27
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[cool] Hey there anglers! Inspite of a mildly cooler morning at the Lagoon, there were still some fish to be caught. None of them were blue gills though as they were all in hiding. The water temp was at 74deg at 5:00am. The LMB were sounding off like cannon ball as they were jumping out of the water. ( This is the part where I broke down and cried for not having my flyrod with me). I was still able to get off several casts with my 4" and 9" swimbaits. Nothing was taking the bait. I continued my workout until around sunrise and switched to my dropshot setup. BINGO!!!! Large Mouth city around the pier.

Just a little dropshot roboworm was enough to entertain the small LMB(2# or less) and as soon as I pulled out my selection of Wild Eye plastics, then the bigger boys decided to come out and play. Notice I said "the bigger boys" not the BIG BOY. There was a few 6-8lbs that were trying to make a big kill on those little plastics. Needless to say, I had alot of fun C&R and I am still on the pusuit of Moby Dick aka THE BIG ONE. After all was said and done, and I had already packed my gear up to head home, the old Torpedo Tommy decided to come out and play. I chucked him a nice crawler to hold him over until later. He took it with pride and I think he laughed at me. I've tried crawlers before with him and he would never touch them. Oh well. Until next time. Left around 10:00am.

Thank God the lake will remain open. That way there will be a next time!!!!!!
[signature]
[cool]Sounds like fun. If the water gets much cooler you will need to use waders...or learn to walk on water.
[signature]
[cool] Hey there lurker, The boat launch ramp area opens at sunrise but there is a section at the pier that is open for 24 hr fishing. Since the Lagoon itself is not a drinking water supply, there is no restriction on waders. That is only in the upper lake.

The lagoon itself, actually has a swim beach, a decent campground, a pier, a boat launch ramp and nice picnic grounds. If you look at the map on their website you will notice that from the pier on down to the campgrounds, is available for 24hr fishing all along the East side of the Lagoon. [url "http://www.castaiclake.com"]www.castaiclake.com[/url] If you are parked in the South East parking lot at the boat launch area, the you cannot get in until someone gets there to open the gate and charge you your fees. And at sunset, the local sherriff will give you a friendly reminder clear out the parking lot because of closure.

It is different by the East picnic grounds. I have been there as early as 3AM and the gate is never locked. Only because that area has a paid campground and people need to get in and out. The map does label that whole section as 24hr access.

I hope that clears up any dought that you may have and maybe we'll see you over there some day, early. It is a rather prime spot with or without a tube. And the water is still warm enough to go waderless. See ya there.
[signature]