Fishing Forum

Full Version: blue gills
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
never have iced one and would like to get into a bunch..
HELP PLEASE?

oh i heard that they make for a great meal also any pointers would be greatly appreciated tackle size jig patterns location but you don't have to give away any honey holes thanks guys and glad to be a member
[signature]
With Gills in this state it is hit and miss (Locally) at least. Utah lake, Mantua, Willard Bay. But, the fishing is for the know how's or lucky that happen to drill on top of the schools. Alot of hours have gone into consistenly pulling slabs out of these lakes. Soooo..

That being said where can one find ample amounts of good gills that bite almost any thing stuck down a hole.....HHHMMMMM. The answer my fellow fisherman is a small treasure located in the Uintah Basin. That's right PELICAN LAKE!!! However you will need to invest a good chunk of change in gas and 6 to 8 hours drive time round trip (depending on where you are leaving from the wasatch front) to get there. Anywhere on that lake just out from the reed beds in about 5-10 feet of water and you are on the gills.

Hope that helps.
[signature]
Welcome IF I.

I'm no expert, but depending on where you live I would check out all the great posts that have been put on this site recently concerning Mantua and Utah lake.

.I caught some dandy's last year at the U L pumphouse
[signature]
thanks guys i will try to hit mantua soon i have rerad the knolls is probally my best bet thanks again
[signature]
[quote icefsher1]never have iced one and would like to get into a bunch..
HELP PLEASE?

oh i heard that they make for a great meal also any pointers would be greatly appreciated tackle size jig patterns location but you don't have to give away any honey holes thanks guys and glad to be a member[/quote]

I might not be the best person to reply on this since I've never caught gills through the ice, but one place I have caught lots of nice chunky gills is Pineview, just up from the dam. I'd assume the same would hold true through the ice.
[signature]
Mantua's been doing pretty good for Gills. But sometimes ya gotta move around to find them. They are awful finicky - so couple suggestions, if I may:

1) Spring Bobbers - help detect that lightest of bite (lookup Action Tackle, lotsa others).
Lots of whiffed hooksets, but sometime ya just gotta give it a yank and see.
2) Some folks like real active jigging, I've found the Gills timid and get drawn to the drop, but then take it on the stop.
3) Proper baiting. See Tip-Shot. If you have lots of worm hanging off - they'll nibble on the end w/o getting onto your hook (waxworms work, or a half mealworm).
4) Brings up my last suggestion - go small. Give 'em a good chance to get the whole thing in their mouth.

Green is good. Glow is good. Trout seem to like pink.
[inline tips4.png]
The southeast bay of Mantua seems to hold a bunch of gill they are right on the bottom so fish a foot or so off bottom. Unless that is what I was doing wrong? But even I was able to catch some there so I'm sure you should be able too. I've found very small hooks work better for me too be able to hook them. I used little plastics like ratso's or squid tipped with wax worms a spring bobber will help you see their lite bites. Good luck. J
[signature]
Oh noooooooooooooo.....the secret is out! J.K.[Wink]
Great info and images Mr Spinner! The spring bobber is essential, learned the lesson last year at Willard when Chickendude was kind enough to let me use one of his. Before that I thought they were just another item to deal with but I had no idea the bites I was missing! Since that trip to Willard I have not fished without them. Seen the bobber move and the pole not do a thing many times even on the Mr. Jigger. Priceless piece of equipment. Thanks again Chickendude and if you head to Willard to sit on the lonely ice again this year let me know, would love some company up there sometime.
[signature]
Probably not the whole secret because I sure don't hurt them too bad.
[signature]
When I can confirm safe ice in the south marina I may hike in and give the sweet-spot a try for some more cats and big perch. I'll let you know when I do.
[signature]
P-shaw. I just make it up as I go....

TheFriends sold me on spring bobbers last year. He uses the straight wire kind, but I like the [url "http://www.actiontackleproducts.com/abi.html"]Action Tackle[/url] bite indicator. (no affiliation, except a satisfied customer)
K2Muskie has a you tube video showing them in action.

Realized old guitar strings of the right weight can work. You can use the 'nut' to feed your line through, then bend and tape the back end on the rod.
One thing I like about the Action tackle ones - you can slide them down so if you cinch down your line for travel you're not bending the indicator. I've even cast with them on. They can be moved from rod to rod if desired.
If only they'd color code the beads for the different 'weights'.

And credit where credit's due - the jig tip is from the Jawjackers. They've got some other helpful tips for the holidaze - like how to correctly "tie one on" :

Incorrect: Correct:
[inline tips1.png] [inline tips2.png]

Action Bite Indicator. Runs about $5, but they work.
[inline action_bite_indicator.jpg]