Fishing Forum

Full Version: Early ice fishing season safety
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The recent tragic drowning of the ice fisherman at the Gorge should be a lesson for all of us who venture onto the hard deck. In my former professional career I took a number of ice rescue classes. Here are a few things I've learned over the years:
Safety should always be in your mind at all times. It's not a good idea to go out on the ice by yourself, especially early in the ice season when ice thickness can vary widely over the same body of water. I will only fish alone when there are many other fisherman out on the ice.
I ALWAYS carry a throwable PFD with 50 feet of 3/8 inch nylon rope attached. There is also a metal clip so the person in the water can place the rope around their chest and then secure the rope. Remember that your fine motor skills will decrease quickly as your body temperature decreases. I also carry a set of ice picks that I string through the sleeves of my outer garment. In this way the picks are always close at hand if I should go into the water. Without something to grip the ice, it is extremely difficult to get yourself out of the water. You can buy the ice picks at Cabela's or Sportsman's Warehouse or make a pair yourself. My picks are just five inches of an old broom handle and I added some 3 inch nails buried so that about a half inch is still exposed. I used epoxy to secure the nails into the wood grip. I then connected the two picks with about four feet of light rope so I can run the string through the sleeves of my jacket.

It's up to the other fishermen in the area to help a person in the water. At many of our ice fishing waters help from the professionals can be at least an hour away and a person in the water in winter won't last that long.
Keep an eye on your kids and don't let them stray too far from where you can keep them safe.
If you insist on ice fishing alone in the early season with questionable ice conditions, at least wear a PFD so it will be easier for the authorities to locate your body when you seccumb to hypothermia.
My thoughts and prayers are with the family of the man who recently passed away at the Gorge. My previous postings are not a criticism of his actions, I just hope we all learn a lesson in staying safe while out on the ice.

Mike
[signature]
thanks for the reminder!
[signature]
Good advice. A pdf is going to go with me from here on out.
[signature]