Fishing Forum

Full Version: Santa Wife
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, my wife usually surprises me on Christmas, but this year she really surprised me.
This year she presented me with a guided full day fishing trip for two on the Madison River. The guide is no other than Bob Jacklin himself. He was inducted into the Fly Fishing hall of fame in 2004. He told her that he doesn't do many trips anymore, but he would be glad to guide Tayler and myself late June or early July. Wow. She said he is one of the nicest guys she has ever talked to. Wow just wow.
He runs a guide/fly shop in West Yellowstone called Jacklins fly shop. I just can't wait. Will spend all my time now working on my casting and trying to get my knees in shape for river wading. I have never done it so it will be a new experience for me. I really want to be able to make accurate casts without thinking about it much. That way
can concentrate more on what he is saying and learn everything I can from him. Will be using a 9ft 5 wt rod, with one of Joni's 7.5 ft furled leaders and 6 or 7 x flourocarbon
tippet. Any tips on accurate casting or tips on wading with bad knees?
Thanks for any advice
Pa
[signature]
Ask him about what flies you'll likely be fishing that time of year. I'm thinking big ole salmonflies could be hatching. Don't want to be using 7x leader for those. Start throwing size 6 & 8 flies on 3-5x leader to get the hang of it. Pretty simple stuff with a little practice chucking the big flies. Just don't hit yourself or your rod with your fly. Hard to time but be prepared because it's the best fly fishing in the world if you get lucky and hit it at the right time. Go try fishing some stone and salmonfly hatches early June on local streams next year as a warm up.
[signature]
Wow, that is cool. I stop buy his shop several times but quit going because his employees are too interested in talking to each other than helping[Tongue] I didn't think that Bob guided anymore either, ery nice score.
[signature]
Wow! Great score.... on the spouse and the trip!

Some great advise so far. With most river fishing I would at least start out with a heavier tippet than 6 or 7. You can always switch to it if you need that light. 5x should be plenty light. Especially if you are using flies like big stonefly nymphs or dries.

On the hatches I like the West-fly-fishing hatches chart. Just go to the Montana section and put in the time of year and the river. You will get lots of fly ideas there. I will PM you the url, or you can use google. Your guide will probably have ideas on what to use, but it doesn't hurt to do some of your own.

Strengthen your knees as much as you can before hand. You might consider a wrapping or support if you need to so that you will be more comfortable. I would definitely invest in a good wading staff. It will give you more confidence in your footing and help you not to injure anything.
[signature]
It really depends on why your knees are "bad". If they are weak then go once a week from now til then and wade for no more than half as long as you will be on the water that day. In fact the first five or so trips you should build up to the half as long time.

As for casting there's no substitute for practice. It helps (at least it did me) to practice at the park instead of on the river. That way you can concentrate on the cast and not even think about the water, the fish or...

Lots of good videos on casting on youtube.

Good luck and oh BTW can I bring my wife by and have your wife give her wife lessons?
[signature]
Pa,
Wow what a present! I'm sure that you will really enjoy the trip. It is a very special thing to share a day with Bob. Take the time to get to know him and get him talking, it's a chance of a lifetime.
Your and the other posts seem to indicate that you will be wade fishing vs floating in a drift boat. If you are wading with Bob, tell him to bring along his rod. You will learn a great deal from watching him cast and where he puts his fly. I am sure he won't fish much.
If you have never fished from a drift boat you will be hooked. There's two main floats, from West Fork bridge to McAtee bridge and from McAtee to Varney. The upper water is a bit faster and you may fish nymphs alot unless the adult stones are out. The lower float is a little slower/wider and you will likely be casting tight to the bank more. I would probably prefer the upper, but let Bob choose.
Once you decide your date, you can focus on what flies. But go see Bob the day before and buy a few--although your guide will usually have what you need. Don't forget the tip & a few bucks for his flies.
I'm sorry if I'm telling you what you already know. I'm real jealous!

[fishin]
[signature]
I see now you will have some encouragement to keep up on your physical therapy. When you do go on that fantastic trip take a hiking pole with you for stability and take it slow. Invest in the footwear that will best suit you for not slipping too.

Our knees (my twin and I) go out to ya pa. May your recovery be speedily and painless as possible. I hope I can get a fishing experience in with ya before you get sliced.

My twin and I will even drive you to the ponds where all you have to do is crutch (or wheelchair) your way to the bank where we will have a comfy chair and heater waiting for you. All you will have to do is cast and reel them in![fishin]

I hope that rod you gave my twin wasn't a bad sign.[shocked]
[signature]
Stripleech I have floated thee Green with some folks a longtime ago, and enjoyed it a bunch. I have never stepped into a river and that what this trip is all about. We plan on arriving in West Yellowstone 2 days before the trip so we can buy flies, and pick brains before we get out. The least I can do is take the wife through the park again.[Smile]
[signature]
+1 on the wading staff. I would use it a couple of times before you go on the big trip so you can get used to carrying around that extra hardware and what to do with it when it comes time to cast.
The local park is great. Take your staff and wear your vest. The looks and goofy comments you get are priceless. But the practice benefit is even more priceless.
the best cast is the one you don't think about.
congrats on the trip of a lifetime!
[signature]