Fishing Forum

Full Version: Feb. 4th Rockport party help with kids.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Another wildlife organization I help with is sponsoring some underprivileged kids at the Adam Eakle Rockport ice party on Feb 4th. If any of you can help us we would be most grateful. (I beg the mods indulgence in allowing this to run for a time on the general fishing board.)

Hey all,

I'm writing with a big Smile on my face today as the UWC has just received commitment from the boys and girl club of Salt Lake, to bring 40 underprivileged children to the First Annual Doug Miller Memorial ice fishing event. It will be held on February 4th, 2012 at Rockport reservoir. It will be in conjunction with KSL Outdoors and the **** ******** *******. (another fish and game message board)

We are excited to give these kids the opportunity to try something new, enrich their lives and share our passion for the outdoors with them.

We are currently looking for participants as well as donors for this event and are relying on our community of friends and family to make this a once in a lifetime experience for these great kids.

We are looking for the following:

-Ice fishing gear. Rods, reels, lures , tents, buckets, camp chairs, fish finders and everything in between.

-$Money$. We don't need a ton of money, but won't turn down a dime. All funds will be earmarked specifically for this event and future youth events. No amount is too small and will go a long way!

-Clothing; Any and all kids warm weather clothing is needed. We'd like to see this event several hundred strong in years to come, so a surplus of toasty winter clothes will be an awesome asset!

-Volunteers. We will need adults who know what they are doing to show these kids the ropes. If you've got the time, we've got the kids!

[size 3]-[/size][size 3]Pass it on![/size][size 3] Please let your friends, relatives and neighbors (Even if relatives and neighbors aren't actually "friends Smile ) know of what we are doing. Please post this on your facebook and other social networks, feel free to put my information and the UWC facebook link on there.[/size]

[size 4][#100C60]*** You can donate via credit card or Paypal @ [url "http://www.unitedwildlifecooperative.org/"]www.unitedwildlifecooperative.org[/url] [/#100C60][/size]

Thanks.
[signature]
This will be a great addition to the Ice Party.
I hope that a lot of members will volunteer to help with the kids.
I know that I will.
[signature]
Sending PM
[signature]
Years ago I helped the DWR run their fish pond at the State fair working to get dedicated hunter hours. Nothing beats watching a child who has never fished reel their first one in...... priceless. Just food for thought.
[signature]
Bump, Thanks for the responses so far. We really appreciate it!
[signature]
I hope that you will get a lot more BFT members to volunteer to help with the event.
This is a very nice thing to be doing for a bunch of kids that are in need of assistance.
I'll have a power auger there to help punch holes and I will also bring a few extra rods and tackle for the kids to use.
[signature]
I don't have any warm clothes to donate, but I'm in for helping to put the kids on the fish. I'd be happy to offer up my time, gear and some bait.

Do we have to register for the event or is everyone just gonna meet up at the State Park?
[signature]
As of now, it looks like we all will meet up at the State Park. As DKS or I get more info from the Boys&Girls club, Adam Eakle or UWC, we will post it up.

Again, the response from BFT members has been very good. I can't thank you enough.
[signature]
I am planning on going. I can help kids fish. I have a few poles they can use.
[signature]
Too bad it's the same weekend as our Sulphur Derby. I'm always about helping some kids out. I would have no problem donating any of the items and my time, but I can't make it this year. Maybe in the future we can get our dates different and I will definitely help you out with any items, drill holes all day, demonstrate the flasher, whatever. Anyway good luck with the party! Kudos on doing something to get kids interested in something other than video games and causing trouble. Keep it up[cool]
[signature]
Fantastic! I should have most of the details we need in the next few days.

Thank you to all of you that has responded.
[signature]
I'll bring my stuff, power auger. several rods the kids can use, my sled, shack (2 man), fish TV bait etc.
[signature]
OK, here is a bit of an update for those that have volunteered.

1. The volunteers will be meeting the kids at the ramp area at Rockport at approximately 10 AM. Possibly earlier, depending on when the Boys-Girls club can get them there.

2. We are taking inventory of what we have and what we still need right now.

3. We will be having a "pre-game" meeting, February 1st @ 7:00, location TDB.

We will get together and take a full inventory of volunteers, clothing, gear etc. This will give us a clear picture of what we will have left to achieve in the following days leading up to the party and give everyone a chance to get acquainted and do a quick brainstorm on how to make this a 5 star shin-dig for these young-uns.

Thanks again for the support. These kids deserve it!!

Anyone that is able to attend, volunteers and all. It's more or less a grounding. We'll have some pizza or something like that and get square with where we are at with all of the donations etc.

Thanks for the volunteered help so far.
[signature]
For those that are helping Saturday, there is a planning meeting if you can make it.

We will be meeting to discuss the ice fishing event and make final plans. Some pizza and comedic relief will be provided.

Wednesday, Feb. 1 @ 7:00

UWC event head quarters (Airplane hangar) [Image: icon_smile.gif]

2482 South Sky Park Dr (Approx. 1560 w.)
Woods cross (Take 2600 south exit and head west)
[signature]
I will be at work during the meeting, but do plan on being there on the 4th, and will bring a finder and some gear and help where we can.

SM
[signature]
i would like to share this on my facebook pages. is there an official link that I can post to promote this?
[signature]
I just became a member of BFT today but would love to help out if you still need it. I have a tent big enough for six kids plus me and gear for them as well.
[signature]
Great news!

I spoke with some people here at work and I'm pleased to say that Pugsgear is going to donate approximately 20 pairs of warm gloves for the event.

I'll try to see if I can talk them into some hats as well when we pick them tomorrow.

I'll be at the ramp between 9:30 and 10:00 to pass them out.

Thanks, Pugsgear!
[signature]
Hi Nick.
We would love to have you help with the kids.
In all honesty, it will be difficult to get all these kids to catch even one fish each.
With a lot of adult coaches, the odds will go way up for them.

It would be great to have one coach per kid if possible.

As a side note, anyone bringing a shelter to use, the kids can't be inside shelter with an adult.
Too bad that the world has come to this but it will keep everyone safe and protected.

The kids are going to be showing up at the Rockport Boat Ramp about 10:00am. Volunteers are asked to be there between 9:00 and 9:30.
See you then.
[signature]
BFT has its own Face Book...ugh... profile i guess? anyway last i looked there was nothing on there about this maybe the admin of that profile can promote this and folks can share it. go to face book and search for Big Fish tackle
[signature]