Fishing Forum

Full Version: Mr. Jigger
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone use these? Pros/Cons

Or are there any other similar devices you prefer to use?
[signature]
I love em. You can move your rod with a simple tap of the foot, and it'll jig a few times for ya. Easy to lift right out and hand-hold it.
I still use a spring bobber, but the teeter action can help you detect a bite.

Couple notes: the wire can pop off your rod (and easily slip down a hole!) when you raise and strike. Cut a cork in half, and slip the pieces on the ends. Works both as a "stop" and a "float". You may find - especially larger rods - the balance point might not be quite right. You can shift your reel, or the wire placement, or add weight to the butt (opposite every gals new year's resolution, right?!) to compensate. I like the wire bent tight enough it stays on the rod. Make sure the wire goes INSIDE your line!

I wish they were taller. I like to prop one on a small stand or table. I've tried some of the red bent wire rod holders, but much prefer the jigger totter.
But it won't set the hook for ya! (that's the Jawjacker!)

Outside - the wind will make them jig. I've even thought of adding a pinwheel to the butt of a rod - give it a REEL ride!
I think between the frame, wire, and teeter action - I'm probably less likely to lose a rod down a hole to a fish, as compared with one of the fixed-wire type. May cost a bit more, but worth it in my book.

[inline corks4.gif]
I use them and think they are great, there is not a lot of space between the ice and your reel when it is set up so you want to keep the area where it is sitting as clear as you can to keep snow and ice from interfering with the action. And the wire that holds the rod will fall into your hole from 20 feet away, and seem to become lost very easily. But I can't count the number of rods that they have saved, not to mention bite detection.
[signature]
I use one on my dead stick rod. I hold the other rod and jig with it. Many of the bites will be on the rod in the Mr Jigger. The fish come over to see what I'm jigging and then strike the dead stick Mr. Jigger.

I taped my rod to the wire so the wire wouldn't fall into the ice hole.
I like the idea of the cork though. that way, you can adjust the rod in the Jigger easier.

I also like the way that Mr. Jigger breaks down into 3 pieces and fits into my bucket when in travel.
[signature]
I really like them. I think it helps as a bite sensor and I also think with less resistance the fish are more likely to bite more than once.
After having one for a couple years and wanting more I made some of my own out of pvc. I made them a little taller and offset the loop in the wire, so there is more room for the reel. For the cost of one in the store I made six.
[signature]
I bet a little sail or flag stuck into the cork to catch the wind would be just as good, if you set it up so the wind was at the butt of your rod. A gust would tip it down and a normal breeze would make it just shiver a little.

I made one out of PVC and wire, so it would collapse, and what I like is how trout seem to be less willing to grab and then let go by the time I get to it than they are with a rod in a stiff holder. Gives you those couple seconds to get there and set the hook.
[signature]
Bingo - I think you and wolfman both make a good point - it does have some give, so they can take it a bit - often I've seen it tip, then nose-dive. I think lots of sub-ice fish sample, and if they find resistance, they spit and run.

I would love to see some photos of what you folks have fashioned - and anything PVC is GOLD around here - that's all I'm saying! I've bent a few spare wires, for practice as much as, . . .

CONS: with the reel handle down - it typically won't rock smoothly - (taller stand). Also the diameter - with many rods I have to twist them so the handle is inside for smooth movement. Bit taller, bit wider. A wider wire - and with the corks - you could offset the rod to account for the handle.

I like the breakdown too. There's a wire-made jigger-totter, but it doesn't fold or breakdown. But it is taller.
Xtrema wrote:[/quote]
Does anyone use these? Pros/Cons

you get one you will like it alot and there are many ways to set it up as you can see by the many posts
[signature]
Jigger Totters are alot better and way less money . Buy the mild steel one , not the stainless steel ones . I have had mine three years and no rust at all . They are taller , the wires are offset for your reel and they have floats already built on the wires . You can add a clothes pin to a piece of plastic and make a sail to clip to your rod . When I bought mine they were 5 for $25.00 plus shipping . They are made by a guy in Nampa Idaho . Curt G .
[signature]
I use one but not the way it was intended. I take the wire off and set my rod length wise across the jigger. This places my rod tip only about 6 inches above the ice hole and that way the wind will not move the line while dead sticking. It is pretty much a rod holder this way.
[signature]
I invented it in the 70's but didn't really know how to follow through with it commercially.Then some dude ,I think he's from Montana came up with the same Idea.

I kick myself every time I see one now.
[signature]
I use Jigger totters and love them.
jiggertotter.com
[signature]