Fishing Forum

Full Version: shsimons, Nickajack, Bass/Blues(HOF), 1-15-12
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Picked up a cajun chicken biscuit at Bojangle's and headed out for a relaxing day on the river. I started out catching bluegill and bass. The bass were just exploding with shad. I couldn't get any shad at that time, but had some shiners just in case. I did find plenty of shad later after I ran downriver. I went and smallmouth fished for awhile, with no takers. Then I decided to drown some bluegill/skipjack. Fished the first big fish hole with no luck. It's around 12:00 at this point so my expectations are low. I move spots and have a good takedown with no hookup. Get ready to reposition a rod, pick up, and a big boy is on there. After several minutes of suffering in the high current, I landed Mr. Blue. I went to net up some shad after that, and put another 4-5 spots in the boat. I had something big come off, don't think it was a bass, fishing a current break.<br /><br />I think I might go again in the morning and do the same thing. Catching a bunch of bass with a big cat or two thrown in sure is great. Not to mention the bluegill are gigantic. To think, I used to not like winter that much. It's been pretty great so far this year!<br /><br />On another note for you live bait guys. I tried fishing shiners side by side with the shad, and those spots wanted nothing to do with the shiners. I couldn't not buy a bite unless it was a shad. Goes to show you how keyed in they'll get on one bait.