Fishing Forum

Full Version: Flaming Gorge burbot advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know this is probably a bit late to post but I thought better late than never. A group of friends and I are heading to the gorge tomorrow and would like to try to ice fish it for burbot and anything else we might luck into. I have heard the confluence/lost dog area has been slow. I was told maybe to fish the firehole or sage creek area. I am not looking for someone's exact honey hole just directions on a good place to put some burbot on the ice. Thanks in advance.
[signature]
Glad to know I won't be the only one headed up today. Same old question same old answer Glow tubes or spoons tipped with a piece of chub. As far as technique I generally jig alot usually not putting my rod down but the first year we fished the Bash if you were moving it you didn't catch as many. So I guess play around a bit. One thing I do know is you gotta have the bait just off the bottom, an when I say that I mean like a couple inches. Good luck maybe we'll run into ya I'll be in a grey yota truck an staying at my cabin in manila. Oh yeah one mor thing Fishly has taught me if the catchin aint good move to a new area, don't waste the best time (just after the sun goes down) in a place where they aren't hangin out.
Good Luck![cool]
[signature]
last week we were over at the gorge....and ur right...a few inches off the bottom......we were fishing in 36 feet of water.....but for some reason i pulled one jig up to 21 feet.....caught a 28 inch 5 and a half pound ling. then my friend did the same thing. pulled up to about 20 feet and caught a 33 inch 6 and a half pound ling...danged exceptions to the rule!!
[signature]
Ya know that makes me wonder cause our biggest ling from the Bash came 6 feet off the bottom in 28 feet of water....... Even though the shear numbers were right on the bottom maybe the the big dogs are not bothering with the small craydads and just feeding strictly on suspended fish. I shall put it to the test tomorrow night and report the findings.
[signature]