Fishing Forum

Full Version: knobbymag, Watts Bar, Crappie, 03/07/2012, Alone
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Went to Watts Bar today for the first time in a few years. It took awhile but, I found a couple trees in 10' of water that were loaded with White Crappie. I don't know how many I caught but, it started to get boring. The keeper rate was less than 10 percent. I brought home 6 keepers 11-12" male keepers. I tried deeper and marked several fish but the wind was brutal. I tried a couple docks and was blown around quite a bit so I nixed that idea. The lure for the day was a larger 2" panfish assassin that I am loving! It is in blue grass and I had it on a 1/16oz jig head for the wind it has a scent that they will really hold on to, and that is a great thing in the wind. <br /> I really had a ball today finding the fish on my new side scan marking them with the gps then putting a buoy out and wearing them out on several consecutive casts. I learned today to look more at "shadows" than actual fish over a brush pile. I also learned that I'm about 10' feet off of where I think the brush pile is and where it actually is, thank the lord for marker buoys. I talked to a TWRA Biologist and he said that there was a tremendous White Crappie spawn two years ago. So that explains all the 8-9" inchers. Next few years should be awesome there.