Fishing Forum

Full Version: Sonia's First Slot Buster
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With the recent news of more open water at Strawberry, my family and I set off to test our luck. The latest reports had me worried that there would be a lot of competition for the slim openings, but luckily, the holiday had most people occupied enough to stay away.

Our first stop was at an inlet where quite a bit of open water glistened. The bay was really shallow, but we found a spot worth fishing from and almost instantly, I had the first catch of the day on my crankbait.

[Image: Easter039.jpg]

No reason to measure that one. Back it went. Casting right where the inlet flowed into the lake, I got two really good fish to hang on long enough to tease me into thinking I’d get to pet them. Nice colors on those, but alas, they escaped me.

A short while later, my wife got a pretty good one, right in the lip using a minnow.

[Image: Easter041.jpg]

We didn’t measure that one either, but it was pretty close.

The wind picked up and more people came to invade, so we decided to try another spot. Driving around to the Soldier Creek side, there was hardly any open water visible and I wondered if my desired spot would still be locked up.

Luckily, my spot had just enough open water to do some casting. Unfortunately, the fishing was dismally slow and we couldn’t get anything to even follow our offerings. Having hiked into the spot with all of our gear and a couple of kids, we decided to wait it out for the possibility of catching a lonely straggler or two. I was sure the spot was good enough to warrant the wait, as it’s becoming my go-to at Strawberry.

After a couple of empty hours and plenty of boredom complaints from the kids, Sonia hopped up and started cranking on something nice. Her favorite worm/bubble rig enticed her very first slot buster!

Way to go, chica!

[Image: Easter043.jpg]

[Image: Easter046.jpg]

[Image: Easter047.jpg]

Weighing just under 4lbs, it stretched out a little over 23” and made our day. Once again, Sonia out-fished me in size and numbers. This must be her year. That’s fine with me. It’s nice to see her light up when she’s got a big one in her hands.

She caught a scrawny little hatchery bow awhile later while I continued to try for my hog. The best I could do was to get a take on a minnow and have my line break at the knot. Win some, lose some.

I’d already told myself it was a good day and it was time to go when I finally got something to stay on a hook. It was a runt planter, so I called James over to reel in for me before we released it. He needed some action by then anyway.

[Image: Easter055.jpg]

It was great to see some open water at the Berry again and I’m super proud of Sonia for staying persistent and catching her first slot buster. Good times are here.

[Image: Easter050.jpg]

Happy Fishing, Humans.
[signature]
Right on Sonia!!!! Beautiful fish.
[signature]
Congrats on your first slot buster.
[signature]
nice fish! i am hoping to get my chica on her first muskie this year
[signature]
where at stawberry is there open water?
[signature]
There are small areas of open water near most inlets.

Also, some open water by the SC marina and the "island" area near the dam.
[signature]
Think there is enough open water for a kickboat?
[signature]
At the ladders, yes. Also near the SC marina.

There should be a lot more open water by this weekend. Warm weather this week.
[signature]
Glad to see slot busters are still there! that is usally where I ice fish but this year the ice had me a little nervous! so we didnt even fish there this year. The year before we had a hundred fish day there with 5 over the slot! Glad to see the wife get a buster. My wife got her first ice fishing this year and you would have thought it was a Marlin but it was good to see the Smile on her face! Congrats again!!!
[signature]
Beautiful slot Buster! I have never fished the Ice Off at Da Berry. Plenty of Ice fishing there but I have never landed a Slot Buster. Perhaps it is time to expand my fishing there. Thanks again for the post!
[signature]
Awesome! I always loved Strawberry at ice off.

[signature]
Go girl power, right?! Now if only she was flinging instead of bobbing! tarhar.

Sounds like another good family adventure. I'll be that thing's as pink as a salmon on the inside!
I think that "in the mouth" shot is going to give me bad dreams (of all the ones I've missed!)

Don't suppose you ever run into Kokes from shore there?
I've never caught a koke at the Berry. Caught a nice red one on video though, a couple of years back. That's as close as I've come over there.

It's something I'd love to do though.
[signature]