Fishing Forum

Full Version: Hot spot, Yes HOT
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I went for a ride today, all the way to Starvation..Jordanelle was looking good as I pasted it at 7:00, the Berry had some open water around the edge and all the ice looked rotten and should be gone soon..

Starvation was looking good as well, I could see people by the bridge fishing I headed over to look at the boat launch..

There was three trucks and one person camping, two people was fishing and had some good sized rainbows about 15 to 20" long.. I seen a friend (Jerry) and stopped to see how he was doing..He had one bow at 18" and he had a pole that was just not in uses so I put some smelly cheese looking stuff on it and made a cast..

We got a few bows all was big and fat, and we could see them swimming by and some was trying to spawn...

Jerry and I kept four each and cut the line on lots of others
all fish we kept was over 18"..

Now can the Rainbows in there spawn??

And that is the hot spot of the day...
[signature]
I know the Jerry you speak of. He has been killing them over there for a few weeks now, ever since the ice has come off. He did the same on the ice up there this year too. That guy is a fishing fool and can catch them anywhere.

Thanks for the post, Cliff!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The rainbows may go through a spawn but their eggs will not hatch. Triploid rainbows are infertile even if they do develop eggs. Many do not and just keep eating and growing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Nice job "Troutrods".[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yes he is a fishing fool, well maybe the fishing part fits but not the fool..[Wink][sly]
[signature]
The females was dripping eggs and the males milt when you pulled them out, but they can't spawn??

We could see them going through what looked like they was spawning, have the fish been fixed??

If so how do they do it??
[signature]
One of the reasons Rainbow Trout were absent from Strawberry for so long was the unavailability of sterilized Rainbow Trout. The Rainbows can be sterilized with varying degree of effectiveness. The ones now planted in Strawbeery are sterilized by- the use of a chemical procedure and is 90% effective. Even Rainbows that have not been sterilized are usually not highly successful at reproduction in lakes and small streams for a variety of reasons. As TD said most Rainbows in Utah will not have a successful spawn for either of the reasons noted. That is one of the reasons Rainbows have for the most part always been a put and take hatchey fish.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The rainbows are "triploids"...treated in the hatchery to alter their genetics. They cannot produce viable eggs or sperm. They will develop the ovaries and milt and they will go through all the spawning rituals, but they are "shooting blanks" and there will be little or no actual hatching. And anything that does hatch is usually very weak and does not survive.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the up date...
[signature]
Thanks, you better get up there and get some..[Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]As much as I enjoy catching those Starvation steelheads I prefer to wait until some of the other species are more active as well. That will probably get rolling by the end of May. Until then there are plenty of other fishies to keep me busy...without having to take out a third mortgage to buy gas.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad you guys had a good day of it. I mean if you gotta be somewhere...and the fish are biting...why not take advantage of it?[/#0000ff]
[signature]