Fishing Forum

Full Version: Mantua??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
just wondering what the weather has done to the fishing wanted to head out today if the fishing was good.
[signature]
I fished along the west side on Saturday morning from 5 AM until around 8. I used a fly rod and caught around 30 gills and a couple of small bass (7 inches or so). Usually I bait fish with my kids along the dyke and it appeared that the fly was doing better than the others who were dunking worms. I haven't pulled out a perch from Mantua in a couple of years. Anyone else had that same experience?
[signature]
I noticed what your saying about the perch. My recent days/weeks up there have been great! But I might get 1 perch out of every 20 gills. Thought it was just me...
[signature]
There are plenty of perch in there. I find they're very hesitant to mess with anything that isn't within a couple inches of the bottom, though.
[signature]
I was up there Friday evening on the northeast side. My daughter and I caught probably 7-8 perch and maybe 40 'gills. Only kept two perch in our mixed bag, and when we got home I was surprised how they seem to shrink on the drive home. Hers did anyway.
As we were fishing, she kept looking over the side into the water, and watching them play with her hook. My eyesight is not the greatest, but she said they looked like perch, and confirmed perch have vertical bars on their sides. They are in there, but maybe we are in a rebuilding year as far as any sizable population goes.
[signature]
Last year, just after I couldn't find bluegills on any beds anymore, I caught a sack full (musta been 35 or more) in little holes in the mossy stuff all along the shore from the south east parking to the point.

7+ inches, nothing over 8-1/2, if I recall, but I took em home.
[signature]