Fishing Forum

Full Version: new to forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I went trout fishing last week and caught the biggest trout ever. It measured 18 inches and weighed 4lbs after I gutted it and cut off the head. I had nobody to help me eat it except my cat. Now she thinks trout is part of her diet. I'm a little tired of eating trout but I never tire of fishing. Next time I go fishing I'm going to give my fish to a friend. I'd also like to fish for other species of fish. I caught a couple of smallmouth bass last spring but I will wait till the weather cools.

I've been hooked on fishing for almost a year now. Ever since I reeled in 2 trout on a double hook leader I've been addicted. I learn a little more each time I go fishing. Now I need to learn how to troll with my new Minn Kota 40 thrust trolling motor. So I may be asking some questions before I go fishing again. It's fun to read posts because I get fresh ideas how to fish. I use 3 fishing poles now cause I have a second pole license. Just in case I lose my swivel and sinker, I grab a spare pole. I find that preparation before I go fishing pays off.

Debbie
[signature]
Welcome aboard Debbie. That is a chunk of a trout. Congrats. We will look forward to your future posts.
[signature]
Howdy, good looking fish there. Lots to learn on this site. Seasoned or otherwise.
[signature]
Welcome! Lots of great tips to be found here!
[signature]
I have yet to use a worm this year. Most of the trout I have caught have been with PowerBait. I had some fun with Kastmaster lures last month. I found out they are productive in catching trout. Has anyone put a worm on those lures? The hook is a size 10. I read a review that the Kastmaster lures are deadly when tipped with a worm.I'm going to try trolling my lures next fishing trip to see how that works. I also got a 17" fish in the freezer that I will cook next week.

Debbie
[signature]
Fish lover, Kastmasters are good lures, but as for tipping with worm, I feel that would be for vertical jigging only, such as in ice fishing. When casting and retrieving or trolling, an unbaited lure will have much better fish-catching action.
[signature]
[quote brookieguy1] Fish lover, Kastmasters are good lures, but as for tipping with worm, I feel that would be for vertical jigging only, such as in ice fishing. When casting and retrieving or trolling, an unbaited lure will have much better fish-catching action.[/quote]

Heya Debbie - welcome, and good on ya. Sounds like some fun, and some nice catches. Couple questions - have you ever tried filleting? (I'll never go back to guttin' personally) Do you like smoked fish at all? Grilling and baking can make for some tasty servings, but as they say 'secret is in the sauce' - or the spice sprinkle.... lots of options.

As for tipping a lure - I've oft debated the tradeoff of action vs scent/flavor. Both metal lures, and crank baits. gotta figure it messes with action, but as I always say "everybody like worms - kinda like parfait!"

Scent can be offered on a lure w/o tipping the hook too...

Kastmaster, Jakes, Kokanee Killers - lots of trout lures - spoons of various sorts - done well with buoyant orange spotted spoons in fall. Spinners galore... Fly behind a bubble too - blanking on the brand, but some with a spinner on a fly can be hot.
I like Joe's Flies too - cross the line between spoons, spinners and flies. Plus many have a stinger hook. Snag those swipers.
[quote brookieguy1] Fish lover, Kastmasters are good lures, but as for tipping with worm, I feel that would be for vertical jigging only, such as in ice fishing. When casting and retrieving or trolling, an unbaited lure will have much better fish-catching action.[/quote]

I disagree with that BG1. I have had tons of success tipping a worm on castmasters, spinners, etc.
[signature]
Coyote,

I have not learned how to fillet my fish but I have a couple of neighbors that can teach me. I have several fishermen in the neighborhood. We just need to get together and do it.

I called my friend earlier today. He said he doesn't put bait on lures so I don't think I'll bother with worms with Kastmaters, Jakes, or Panther Martins. But I do like your idea of putting some scent on the lure. It sounds easy and simple. Now if the weather will cooperate I may get out next week and experiment with the lures. Part of the fun of fishing is trying new methods and experimenting with new lures/jigs. I caught 3 trout on June 13th using a Cutthroat marked Kastmaster so I know they work. I'm not going to use them when fishing from shore anymore cause I don't like losing them. I like to use the lures on the pontoon boat but I don't like fighting the wind. If it is windy I usually fish from shore.

Debbie
[signature]