Fishing Forum

Full Version: drumking, Tims Ford, Crappie, 26 Aug 2012, Bent Rod
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What a beautiful sunrise that we had on Tims Ford lake this morning. Rick and I started off fishing for Walleye and nothing happening with them today. Rick did catch a couple of Smallmouth bass to get the skunk off the boat, but no toothy critters wanted to play.<br /><br />So we quickly turned to crappie fishing and had a reasonable day all things considered. Poor moon phase, bright blue sunny skies and lots of Sunday joy riders out today. But what we lacked in quantity, we more than made up for in quality. Rick did twice as good as last week on the crappie. Every fish was a quality keeper today. I had one TARP 15.5 inch Black crappie and a couple more that narrowly missed that mark. They were just under 14". <br /><br />Rick had called me last night and told me about a couple more coves that he wanted to try. We had never fished these coves before. So we scouted a lot and looked at the graph. We found one promising spot and started throwing our jigs at the fish. The fish were in brush about 30 feet deep. We may have discovered one of the best crappie spots that we have found at Tims so far. Every fish that came from this spot was a thick slab and we lost a couple more that got down into the brush and hung us up and we had to break the fish off. I can't wait to get back over here to hit this place again. <br /><br />The last 30 minutes of the morning, we just ran to a different part of the lake and scouted docks. We found some fish on 2 or 3 docks, but didn't take time to fish for them. That is reserved for another day.<br /><br />Our lures were Bobby Garland 2" shads and slab slayers. I did catch a couple of nice keepers on a Roly Poly Minnow Minder fished on 1/16 oz jigs. I think that Rick caught his first crappie on a 1/32 oz, but quickly switched over to 1/16 oz when we saw just how deep the fish really were. We saw lots of bait fish showing up in various places and as soon as the water temps cool just a little bit more, they should move toward the back end of a lot of coves over there and make the fishing a little bit easier. Rick doesn't quite have the hang of this deep water technique, but I'm not giving up on him. I told him that if he let me come over a little bit more, that I would finally get him to catch crappie deep too. emoBigSmile emoGeezer <br /><br />Our totals: 11 keeper crappie. 2 smallmouth bass, 2 yellow bass, and 1 small channel catfish in 1/2 day fishing.